Register with us today

and in less than 60 seconds continue your access to:Latest news headlinesAnalytical topics and featuresCommodities videos, podcast & blogsSample market prices & dataSpecial reportsSubscriber notes & daily commodity email alerts

Already have an account?

Log in to register

Forgot Password

Please Note: Platts Market Center subscribers can only reset passwords via the Platts Market Center

Enter your Email ID below and we will send you an email with your password.

  • Email Address* Please enter email address.

If you are a premium subscriber, we are unable to send you your password for security reasons. Please contact the Client Services team.

If you are a Platts Market Center subscriber, to reset your password go to the Platts Market Center to reset your password.

In this list

Drop in flow to China, Japan push May Australian Gladstone coal exports to 3-month low

Energy | Coal | Thermal Coal | Electric Power | LNG | Natural Gas

Unpacking the impact of COVID-19 on China's thermal coal, LNG markets


Platts Global Coal Alert

Capital Markets | Commodities | Oil | Crude Oil | Refined Products | Fuel Oil | Gasoline | Jet Fuel | Naphtha | Marine Fuels | Equities | Financial Services | Banking | Non-banks | Private Markets

North American Crude Oil Summit, 3rd annual

Coal | Metals | Steel

Chinese domestic coke prices face downward pressure as demand wanes

Drop in flow to China, Japan push May Australian Gladstone coal exports to 3-month low


Exports of coal via the Port of Gladstone in Queensland, Australia, slid to a three-month low in May as volumes to China and Japan slumped, data from the Gladstone Ports Corporation showed Thursday.

Not registered?

Receive daily email alerts, subscriber notes & personalize your experience.

Register Now

About 70% of the coal exported from Gladstone is metallurgical, with the remaining 30% being thermal, GPC says.

Total coal exports from the port were at 5.97 million mt in May, down 6% year on year and 4% lower than April. It's the second lowest monthly volume on a year-to-date basis after February's 5.12 million mt, the data showed.

The volume to Japan dropped to a three-month low of 1.37 million mt. That represents a 37% year-on-year fall and 14% slide from April. In the past four months, exports from Gladstone to Japan have averaged just 1.42 million mt/month versus 1.75 million mt in the four months prior to that, the data showed.

Exports to China were also lagging, at 733,000 mt, down 36% year on year and 49% month on month.

Offsetting this somewhat, was volumes to South Korea, which spiked 187% year on year and jumped 38% month on month to 1.08 million mt, the figures showed.

Additionally, India-bound exports hit a 2019-high of 1.87 million mt, having risen 10% from April, but still 4% lower year on year.

Out of Gladstone, 180,000 mt was exported to Taiwan, up 19% year on year and 21% lower than April, according to the data.

The other export destinations for coal from Gladstone in May were Chile (45,000 mt), Malaysia (137,202 mt), Singapore (79,375 mt), Thailand (160,484 mt), Brazil (77,736 mt), Indonesia (63,321 mt), the Netherlands (79,171 mt) and other destinations within Australia (97,702 mt), the GPC figures showed.

-- Nathan Richardson,

-- Edited by Geetha Narayanasamy,