In this list
Energy Transition

Apple expands investment in fund focusing on carbon removal projects

Energy | Energy Transition

Platts Custom Analytics

Commodities | Energy | Electric Power | Energy Transition | Emissions | Carbon | Renewables

Carbon credits seek to regain credibility amid growing scrutiny

Oil | Energy Transition | Energy

APPEC 2024

Energy | Natural Gas | LNG | Energy Transition | Emissions

Biden directive pushes wider use of climate cost metric in US agency actions

Energy | Energy Transition

Platts CARBEX Carbon Credit Indices (powered by Viridios AI)

Agriculture | Energy | Energy Transition | Petrochemicals | Oil | Sugar | Biofuels | Renewables | Hydrogen | Emissions | Carbon | Aromatics | Olefins | Refined Products | Jet Fuel | Crude Oil | Naphtha | Polymers

Bionaphtha for plastics: a building block towards sustainability

For full access to real-time updates, breaking news, analysis, pricing and data visualization subscribe today.

Subscribe Now

Apple expands investment in fund focusing on carbon removal projects


Technology company will put an additional $200 million in Restore Fund

Investments will aim to remove a total of 2 million mtCO2e/year

  • Author
  • Eklavya Gupte
  • Editor
  • James Leech
  • Commodity
  • Energy Transition

Apple Inc. will invest an additional $200 million in a fund specializing in high-quality, nature-based carbon removal projects, it said April 11.

Not registered?

Receive daily email alerts, subscriber notes & personalize your experience.

Register Now

The technology company launched the Restore Fund in 2021, with an initial $200 million investment, to protect and restore critical ecosystems globally and scale natural carbon removal solutions.

The new commitment of $200 million, which aims to remove 1 million mt of carbon dioxide per year at its peak, will be managed by Climate Asset Management, a joint venture of HSBC Asset Management and Pollination.

The initial $200 million investment in 2021 was launched with Goldman Sachs and Conservation International, and aimed to remove 1 million mt CO2e/year from the atmosphere by 2025.

"Located in Brazil and Paraguay, Apple's three initial investments with Conservation International and Goldman Sachs aim to restore 150,000 acres of sustainably certified working forests and protect an additional 100,000 acres of native forests, grasslands, and wetlands," the statement said.

Apple has committed to be 100% carbon neutral for its supply chain and products by 2030. This involves reducing emissions by 75% by 2030, and it will balance the remaining 25% emissions by backing high-quality nature-based solutions.

"The Restore Fund is an innovative investment approach that generates real, measurable benefits for the planet, while aiming to generate a financial return," said Lisa Jackson, Apple's vice president of Environment, Policy, and Social Initiatives. "The path to a carbon neutral economy requires deep decarbonization paired with responsible carbon removal, and innovation like this can help accelerate the pace of progress."

Removal credits

Carbon removal refers to climate mitigation strategies that remove CO2 emissions from the atmosphere, as opposed to strategies to avoid such emissions.

These projects are often categorized as nature-based, exploiting the carbon-absorbing properties of plants or oceans, or technology-based, using tools like direct air capture to vacuum CO2 from the atmosphere.

Platts CRC -- an assessment that reflects the most competitive nature-based carbon credit prices -- was $13.95/mtCO2e on April 11, according to S&P Global Commodity Insights data. Platts CRC reflects removals-based carbon credit projects and comprises individual assessments of Natural Carbon Capture and Tech Carbon Capture.

Removals credits are generated by projects that actively capture and sequester emissions. Like avoidance credits, these can be created by either nature-based or technology-based projects, but they are most commonly generated by reforestation, afforestation and soil sequestration projects.