Register with us today

and in less than 60 seconds continue your access to:Latest news headlinesAnalytical topics and featuresCommodities videos, podcast & blogsSample market prices & dataSpecial reportsSubscriber notes & daily commodity email alerts

Already have an account?

Log in to register

Forgot Password

Please Note: Platts Market Center subscribers can only reset passwords via the Platts Market Center

Enter your Email ID below and we will send you a link to reset your password.


  • Email Address* Please enter email address.

If you are a premium subscriber, we are unable to send you a link to reset password for security reasons. Please contact the Client Services team.

If you are a Platts Market Center subscriber, to reset your password go to the Platts Market Center to reset your password.

In this list
Oil

Russia's Rosneft, China's CNPC in talks on upstream pact, deals possible by May: reports

Coal | Thermal Coal | Electric Power | Emissions | Renewables | LNG | Oil | Crude Oil | Refined Products | Metals | Non-Ferrous | Coronavirus

Market Movers Asia Oct 26-30: China's five-year plan, SIEW 2020 in focus

Oil

Platts Market Data – Oil

Oil | Natural Gas | LNG | Biofuels | Shipping

Brazil Oil and Gas Virtual Forum

Oil | Refined Products | Gasoline | Naphtha | Petrochemicals | Aromatics | Olefins | Polymers | Solvents & Intermediates | Shipping | Containers

ASIA - The week ahead in petrochemicals

Russia's Rosneft, China's CNPC in talks on upstream pact, deals possible by May: reports

Highlights

Industry players, upstream and downstream markets, refineries, midstream transportation and financial reports

Supply and demand trends, government actions, exploration and technology

Daily futures summary

Weekly API statistics, and much more

Russia's state-owned Rosneft and China National Petroleum Corporation are in talks over upstream co-operation in Russia, including the Arctic and Far Eastern territories, and could reach concrete agreements by May, Rosneft CEO Igor Sechin was cited as saying late Thursday in Russian media reports.

Not registered?

Receive daily email alerts, subscriber notes & personalize your experience.

Register Now

"We are now in talks with CNPC over upstream cooperation in Russia's onshore areas as well as offshore the [Far Eastern] Sakhalin island and the Arctic. We have agreed to form working groups [to discuss] the plans," said Sechin said.

He was speaking to Russian media in the resort city of Sochi ahead of the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics to be held Friday.

"By this May ... I expect that opportunities will emerge to discuss new projects and sign new agreements," he said.


In May, Russia's President Vladimir Putin plans to visit China, Sechin said, reiterating earlier statements by Russian government officials.

Russia and China recently strengthened their cooperation in the energy sector, with Rosneft and CNPC signing a memorandum and understanding in October 2013 on an East Siberian and Russian Far Eastern joint venture.

Rosneft is to hold 51% in the JV, with CNPC holding the remaining 49%.

In June 2013, Rosneft and CNPC reached a second crude oil supply agreement that is to gradually double ESPO crude flows to China to 31 million mt/year (620,000 b/d) by 2018.

The 25-year agreement reached in June followed a 2009 deal, under which Rosneft is to supply 15 million mt/year of ESPO crude for 20 years, with the supplies starting in January 2011.

In October 2013, Rosneft also agreed to supply around 200,000 b/d of crude for 10 years to China's state-owned Sinopec, with deliveries starting this year.

Rosneft and Sinopec are already partners in the 120,000 b/d Udmurtneft upstream project in West Siberia, which they have operated jointly since 2006. GAZPROM'S CHINA DEAL EXPECTED IN MAY

Meanwhile, Putin's press secretary Dmitry Peskov was reported as saying in Sochi Thursday that by May, Russia's gas giant Gazprom expects to reach a long-awaited gas pricing agreement with CNPC, reiterating earlier statements from Gazprom.

Last last month, Gazprom said the pricing agreement was expected to be signed in May during Putin's visit to China, with the supply contract coming in force by the end of 2014 and actual supplies potentially starting in 2018.

In September 2013, Gazprom said it had signed a legally-binding deal with CNPC, setting out key conditions for future supplies from East Siberia, via the so-called eastern route.

This followed a memorandum of understanding between the two companies in March 2013 to start pipeline gas supplies to China in 2018, at a rate of 38 billion cubic meters/year. The MOU included a possible increase in volumes to as much as 60 Bcm/year.

--Dina Khrennikova, dina.khrennikova@platts.com
--Edited by Deepa Vijiyasingam, deepa.vijiyasingam@platts.com