In this list

US August coal exports total 4.1 million mt, down 41.3% on year: Census

Energy | Electric Power

Platts Forward Curves – Gas and Power

Energy | Oil | Crude Oil | Refined Products

$90/b oil makes producers and refiners sanguine in Q3

Oil | Energy Transition | Energy

APPEC 2024

Energy | Energy Transition | Natural Gas | Coal | Emissions | Carbon | Hydrogen

Decarbonizing Alberta electricity by 2035 could result in brownouts: AESO CEO

Metals | Energy | Coal | Coking Coal

Platts Premium Low Vol Coking Coal

Energy | Electric Power | Energy Transition | Electricity | Renewables

Women in Energy: More utility leadership roles, but parity remains far off

For full access to real-time updates, breaking news, analysis, pricing and data visualization subscribe today.

Subscribe Now

US August coal exports total 4.1 million mt, down 41.3% on year: Census


Monthly exports hit lowest point since Sept 2016

Jan-Aug exports down 31% on year

  • Author
  • Olivia Kalb
  • Editor
  • Debiprasad Nayak
  • Commodity
  • Coal

Houston — US thermal and metallurgical coal exports totaled about 4.1 million mt in August, down 15.6% from the previous month, US Census data released Oct. 6 said.

Not registered?

Receive daily email alerts, subscriber notes & personalize your experience.

Register Now

Monthly exports were at their lowest since September 2016.

From the year-ago month, exports declined 41.3%. Over the eight months, exports were 44.6 million st, down 31% year on year.

Out of August exports, 64.5% were met, leaving 35.5% thermal.

Of August thermal exports, bituminous shipments totaled 1.2 million st and subbituminous were 272,687 st. Bituminous exports were at their lowest in four months, while subbituminous touched a four-month high, following zero exports in July.

Month-on-month bituminous shipments dropped 19.5%, and from the year-ago month they declined 36.6%. Through August, bituminous exports totaled almost 12.9 million st, down 37.7% from the year-ago period.

Subbituminous shipments declined dropped 55.1% year on year. Through eight months, they totaled 2.6 million st, down 26.6% from the year-ago period.

The top importers for US bituminous coal in August were India, with 378,668 mt, up 32.3% from the year-ago month; the Netherlands, with 204,860 mt down 40.9% from last year; and the Dominican Republic, with 190,000 mt, compared with none in the year-ago month.

South Korea, Japan and Guatemala were the only importers of US subbituminous coal in August, taking in 167,674 mt, 91,604 mt and 13,409 mt, respectively. Year on year, South Korean imports declined 59%, Japanese imports rose 52.1%. Guatemala had no imports in the year-ago month.

Met exports

Met exports totaled over 2.6 million st in August, down 21.7% from July and down 42% year on year.

Through August, met shipments were 24.8 million st, down 27.5% year on year.

The top importers were Brazil, with 455,219 mt, down 7.6% from the year-ago month; the Netherlands, with 363,707 mt, down 14.7%; and Canada with 279,324 mt, down 15.8% year on year.