S&P Global Market Intelligenceoffers our top picks of banking news stories and more published throughout the week.Please note that some entries may have links to third-party sources that may requirea subscription.
Probes, legal challengesand more
* Taiwan's current finance minister, his predecessor and fourformer officials of the Financial Supervisory Commission are being in connection with the scandalinvolving the violation of anti-money laundering laws by Mega Financial Holdings Co. Ltd. subsidiary 'sNew York branch.
* Ding Kung-wha, chairman of the FSC, resigned amid criticism of the regulator's handling of anti-moneylaundering rule breaches at Mega Financial.
* Meanwhile, Taiwanese prosecutors detained Mckinney Tsai and Wang Chi-pang, former executivesof Mega Financial, for their alleged involvement in financial and other irregularities.
* The Securities and Exchange Board of India reportedly a probe against after the bank pulledout its US$1 billion offering from the market due to extreme volatility.
* Malaysia's Federal Court dismissed Liew Yuen Keong's appeal in a long-running casestemming from his monetary claims against K & N Kenanga Holdings Bhd. unit
* The Australian government proposed to make manipulation of financial benchmarks a criminaland civil offense as part of its crackdown on rate rigging.
* Elsewhere, a total of 13 former and current executives at lBancaMonte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, DeutscheBank AG and Nomura HoldingsInc. subsidiary Nomura International Plc will face in Milan, Italy, over an allegedmisrepresentation of Monte dei Paschi's finances.
Deal flow remains strong
* Bank of EastAsia Ltd. and NSW Holdings Ltd. agreedto sell Tricor Holdings Ltd. to private equity firm Permira for HK$6.47 billion.
* China ConstructionBank Corp. completedthe acquisition of a 60% stake in Indonesia-based PT Bank Windu Kentjana International Tbk.
* National AustraliaBank Ltd. completedthe sale of an 80% stake in its life insurance business to Nippon Life InsuranceCo. for A$2.4 billion.
* China EverbrightLtd. agreed to sellits entire stake in China Unionpay Merchant Services Co. Ltd. to Guangji Consultancy(Beijing) Co. Ltd. for 1.83 billion Chinese yuan.
* Kotak MahindraBank Ltd. will acquireBSS Microfinance Pvt. Ltd., a nonbanking finance company, for 1.39 billion Indianrupees in cash. Meanwhile, RBL BankLtd. acquireda 9.99% stake in Utkarsh Micro Finance Ltd.
* Mitsubishi UFJFinancial Group Inc. and MitsubishiUFJ Lease & Finance Co. Ltd. closed the acquisition of an aggregate 27.21% stake in
* Thailand-based Group Lease PCL is acquiring a 29.99% stake in Sri Lanka-based Commercial Credit& Finance Plc, as well as the remaining 28.1% stake in CCF's microfinance subsidiaryin Myanmar.
* In the Philippines, however, the government's latest attemptto sell GSIS Family Bank failedas none of the prospective investors proceeded to the bidding process.
* Moody's assignedan A3 issuer rating to China's CITICGroup Corp. The ratings outlook is negative.
* S&P Global Ratings affirmedits A/A-1 issue and issuer credit ratings on Credit Agricole CIB Australia Ltd. and then withdrew theratings.
* S&P downgradedthe long-term counterparty credit ratings of Higo Bank Ltd. and KagoshimaBank Ltd. to A- from A.
* Fitch Ratings assignedPT. Bank Pembangunan Daerah Jambia national long-term rating of A(idn), with a stable outlook.
In other news
* The Reserve Bank of India cut its policy rates, while the Reserve Bank of Australiakept its policy rate unchanged.
* Pakistan's SilkbankLtd. plans to openmore than 200 branches over the next two years.
* The Indian government extendedArundhati Bhattacharya's tenure as chairman of State Bank of India for one year, effective Oct. 7. The Indianbank also opened its firstbranch in Yangon, Myanmar.
* Japanese convenience store operator Lawson Inc. is to enter the banking businessin 2018 through a partnership with Bankof Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd.
Featured on S&P GlobalMarket Intelligence
Data Dispatch Asia-Pacific:Philippine president's volatile comments add to investor uncertainty as peso falls
The Asia Angle:Mega Financial to delay expansion ambitions as money laundering scandal continuesto simmer
Data Dispatch Asia-Pacific:Midtier Chinese banks take slight stumble in Asia-Pacific Q3 market cap rankings
Yuan inclusionin SDR basket unlikely to boost Chinese bond market activity
S&P Global Ratingsand S&P Global Market Intelligence are owned by S&P Global Inc.