* With the termination of the Astoria Financial-New York Community Bancorp merger, Compass Point analysts say New Jersey-based Investors Bancorp could make a move for Astoria — and may even have been one of the rivals that New York Community outbid.
* While 2016 has been called an average or below-average year for catastrophe losses, the floods from Hurricanes Matthew and Hermine have provided a push for more flood insurance uptake in 2017.
* This year also saw a drop in fintech megadeals. Transactions with U.S. targets numbered 178 and had an aggregate disclosed deal value of approximately $17.47 billion, according to SNL data. In 2015, it was 201 deals for a total of $48.42 billion.
* In Indiana, United Credit Union's merger with Via Credit Union is expected to close Feb. 1, 2017.
* And The Wall Street Journal reports NYSE Arca saw its ETF listings decline year over year for the first time in at least five years, with many of the ETFs having switched to Nasdaq and Bats Global Markets.
The Daily Dose: Express Edition is updated as of 6:30 a.m. ET. Some external links may require a subscription.