trending Market Intelligence /marketintelligence/en/news-insights/trending/rvbfw_ulwlxoisynsxpfga2 content esgSubNav
In This List

Century signs 2-year power deal extension for Mount Holly aluminum smelter

Blog

Essential Metals Mining Insights November 2021

Blog

[Infographic]: 2021 World Exploration Trends

Blog

Copper project pipeline — Project shortage to see supply lag demand post-2025

Blog

Green energy revolution — Boost for industrial metals demand


Century signs 2-year power deal extension for Mount Holly aluminum smelter

Century Aluminum Co. unit Century Aluminum Of South Carolina Inc. inked a two-year power contract extension with Santee Cooper that will maintain the Mount Holly aluminum smelter's operational capacity at 50%.

Santee Cooper, legally known as the South Carolina Public Service Authority, will service 25% of the power load at a standard, cost-based industrial rate, while the remaining 75% will be sourced from a third-party supplier at market prices tied to natural gas prices.

Obtaining 100% of Mount Holly's power requirements at market rates will allow the smelter to operate at full capacity and employment in the future, Century said in an Oct. 10 release.

In 2015, Century signed a three-year power supply agreement with Santee Cooper that prevented the planned closure of the plant.