trending Market Intelligence /marketintelligence/en/news-insights/trending/rgs4dde2vzu06gbf5fvkyw2 content
Log in to other products

Login to Market Intelligence Platform

 /


Looking for more?

Contact Us

Request a Demo

You're one step closer to unlocking our suite of comprehensive and robust tools.

Fill out the form so we can connect you to the right person.

If your company has a current subscription with S&P Global Market Intelligence, you can register as a new user for access to the platform(s) covered by your license at Market Intelligence platform or S&P Capital IQ.

  • First Name*
  • Last Name*
  • Business Email *
  • Phone *
  • Company Name *
  • City *
  • We generated a verification code for you

  • Enter verification Code here*

* Required

Thank you for your interest in S&P Global Market Intelligence! We noticed you've identified yourself as a student. Through existing partnerships with academic institutions around the globe, it's likely you already have access to our resources. Please contact your professors, library, or administrative staff to receive your student login.

At this time we are unable to offer free trials or product demonstrations directly to students. If you discover that our solutions are not available to you, we encourage you to advocate at your university for a best-in-class learning experience that will help you long after you've completed your degree. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

In This List

BHP wins first round in previously unknown A$87M legal battle over Singapore hub

Mining Insights Newsletter June 2020

A Decade of Underperformance for Gold Discoveries

State of the Market: Mining Q1-2020

Mining Exploration Insights - April 2020


BHP wins first round in previously unknown A$87M legal battle over Singapore hub

BHP Billiton Group successfully convinced a tribunal that its dual-listed Australian and British companies are not associates, in an unreported A$87 million legal battle with the Australian Taxation Office over the company's controversial Singapore marketing hub, The Australian reported May 10.

The legal proceedings are separate from the previously disclosed fight over more than A$1 billion in tax bills levied on BHP's earnings from the operation.

In addition, the Queensland government is billing the mining heavyweight for A$329 million in coking coal royalties and interest related to the use of the marketing hub. A BHP appeal over the assessments will be heard in the Queensland Supreme Court later this month.

BHP is trying to fight the ATO's assertion that the company's British arm, BHP Billiton PLC, must also pay tax on 58% of the income it reaps from the sales of Australian goods, primarily coal from its Hunter Valley operations, through Singapore.

According to the report, the Singapore office is 58%-owned by the Australian arm of the mining giant, with the British arm holding the remaining 42%. The said marketing hub is a branch of BHP Billiton Marketing, a Swiss company owned by a Dutch firm.