S&P Global Market Intelligence presents a biweekly rundown of executive and board changes in the European media and communications industries.
* Orange Polska SA named Mariusz Gaca and Bozena Lesniewska as deputy CEOs in charge of the consumer market and the business market, respectively, Telecompaper reported Dec. 21. The appointments are part of an organizational revamp at the Orange SA unit.
* Microsoft Corp.'s Portuguese unit named Paula Panarra its new director general, Telecompaper reported Dec. 19. Panarra will take over from Joao Couto, who will become marketing and operation lead for the tech giant's German business.
Media industry moves
* Axel Springer SE appointed Wolf-Ulrich Schüler as deputy editor-in-chief for news at Bild Zeitung as of Jan. 1, 2017, the company announced Dec. 23. Schüler has served as head of news since April 2015. It was one of six senior editorial appointments.
* UTV Ireland news editor Mick McCaffrey will immediately assume his new role as head of TV3's news service 3 News Ireland, following the departure of TV3 director of news Andrew Hanlon and the completion of Virgin Media Inc.'s acquisition of UTV Ireland. 3 News Ireland will provide news content to TV3, e3 and UTV Ireland, which will be rebranded Be3 beginning in 2017, The Irish Times reported Dec. 22. Liberty Global plc owns Virgin Media.
* Constantin Medien appointed Peter Braunhofer as CFO, succeeding Leif Arne Anders, who will leave the German media group for health reasons, the company announced Dec. 22. Braunhofer joined Constantin Medien in 2007 and in 2013 became responsible for accounting, corporate finance and investor relations.
* WirtschaftsWoche editor-in-chief Miriam Meckel will become publisher of the business magazine on April 1, 2017, taking responsibility for the strategic development of the brand, the company said Dec. 19. Beat Balzli, deputy editor-in-chief at WeltN24-Gruppe, will take over as editor-in-chief at WirtschaftsWoche.
* Funke-Programmies appointed Carsten Pfefferkorn as chief editor for Funke-Zeitschriften's TV direkt and nurTV, effective at the start of 2017, replacing Katharina Lukas, according to a Dec. 16 news release. Pfefferkorn spent 10 years as chief editor of the group's titles Gong, Bild&Funk, Super TV and Die 2.
Communications industry moves
* Eir appointed three new telco veterans to its board of directors as the company inches toward a potential public flotation, London's Financial Times reported Dec. 20. Joining Eir's board are former TalkTalk Telecom Group PLC CEO David Goldie, former British Telecom wholesale division chief Paul Reynolds and former CEO of Vodafone Group Plc's ONO Rosalia Portela De Pablo.