* Wassim Younan, Goldman Sachs Group Inc.'s CEO for the Middle East and North Africa, said the U.S.-based lender has approached an unnamed entity owned by the Saudi Arabian government with a multibillion-dollar proposal, as part of its expansion plans in the country, Bloomberg News reported. CEO Lloyd Blankfein said the bank also plans to double its staff numbers in the country.
* Morocco's Banque Marocaine du Commerce Extérieur SA
* Abu Dhabi Global Market launched its first representative office in Beijing.
MIDDLE EAST AND NORTH AFRICA
* S&P Global Ratings upgraded Egypt's long-term foreign- and local-currency sovereign credit ratings to B from B- with a stable outlook, citing the nation's strengthening economy and improving external position. The agency also affirmed the country's B short-term foreign- and local-currency sovereign credit ratings.
* Union National Bank - PJSC
* Dubai-based Shuaa Capital PSC
* Separately, Shuaa Capital said it appointed Atif al-Othri CEO of its fully owned Shariah-compliant business financing arm Gulf Finance Saudi Arabia.
* Ajman Bank PJSC's
* Bank Dhofar SAOG
* Kuwait & Middle East Financial Investment Co. KSCP
* Capital Intelligence Ratings affirmed Lebanon-based Bank Audi SAL's BBB- financial strength rating, with a stable outlook.
* Partial preliminary results of Iraq's May 12 parliamentary election showed nationalist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr in the lead, with militia leader Hadi al-Amiri and incumbent Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi coming in second and third, respectively, Reuters reported, citing the country's electoral commission. Abadi was initially viewed as a frontrunner, with Amiri and predecessor Nuri al-Maliki seen as Abadi's main rivals. Official full results will be announced today.
* Iranian lenders have been allowed by the Central Bank of Iran to purchase hard currency held by foreign tourists, transit drivers, foreign diplomatic missions based in the country and representative offices of foreign banks, the Financial Tribune wrote.
EAST AND WEST AFRICA
* Fidelity Bank Ghana Ltd.
* Ecobank Ghana Ltd.
* Barclays Bank of Ghana Ltd. Managing Director Patience Akyianu has resigned from her post but will remain with the Barclays Africa Group Ltd.
* Lekan Sanusi was named as managing director of Guaranty Trust Bank (Uganda) Ltd. He replaces Femi Omotoso, who will take on a new role at Nigeria-based parent Guaranty Trust Bank Plc.
* Coris Bank International Mali has launched its new specialized Islamic banking agency, known as Coris Bank International Baraka, in Mali, Le journal de l'économie Malienne wrote. The banking group has offered Islamic financing products in Togo, Ivory Coast, Benin, Senegal and Mali since 2014.
CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN AFRICA
* Angola, which is in the process of raising $3 billion in eurobonds, intends to privatize 74 state companies in the coming years, according to Reuters. Among those reportedly being considered for full or partial privatization are Banco de Comércio e Indústria SA
* Angola's state-controlled Banco de Poupança e Crédito SA
* Banco Nacional de Angola Governor José de Lima Massano said the country plans to maintain the new floating exchange rate regime that has led to the kwanza's steep depreciation against the euro since its introduction at the start of the year, Macauhub reported.
* SBM Holdings Ltd.
* Fitch Ratings affirmed Cameroon's B long-term foreign-currency issuer default rating, with a stable outlook.
* The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe has prohibited local financial firms from doing business with cryptocurrency exchanges or holding any accounts of individuals trading in such currencies, Techzim wrote. Financial firms were given 60 days to comply with the central bank's directives.
* Nedbank Group Ltd.
IN OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD
Asia-Pacific: SoftBank in talks to sell Flipkart stake to Walmart; Trump working to save ZTE
Deza Mones, Henni Abdelghani, Sophie Davies and Helen Popper contributed to this report.
The Daily Dose Middle East and Africa has an editorial deadline of 5 a.m. London time. Some external links may require a subscription. Links are current as of publication time, and we are not responsible if those links are unavailable later.
This S&P Global Market Intelligence news article may contain information about credit ratings issued by S&P Global Ratings, a separately managed division of S&P Global. Descriptions in this news article were not prepared by S&P Global Ratings.