trending Market Intelligence /marketintelligence/en/news-insights/trending/1mUqX_rLQlQmSZ8Mm0ijYQ2 content
Log in to other products

Login to Market Intelligence Platform

 /


Looking for more?

Contact Us

Request a Demo

You're one step closer to unlocking our suite of comprehensive and robust tools.

Fill out the form so we can connect you to the right person.

If your company has a current subscription with S&P Global Market Intelligence, you can register as a new user for access to the platform(s) covered by your license at Market Intelligence platform or S&P Capital IQ.

  • First Name*
  • Last Name*
  • Business Email *
  • Phone *
  • Company Name *
  • City *
  • We generated a verification code for you

  • Enter verification Code here*

* Required

Thank you for your interest in S&P Global Market Intelligence! We noticed you've identified yourself as a student. Through existing partnerships with academic institutions around the globe, it's likely you already have access to our resources. Please contact your professors, library, or administrative staff to receive your student login.

At this time we are unable to offer free trials or product demonstrations directly to students. If you discover that our solutions are not available to you, we encourage you to advocate at your university for a best-in-class learning experience that will help you long after you've completed your degree. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

In This List

Glencore's Katanga unit signs US$250M deal to expand Congo JV

COVID19 Mining Impacts Mining Projects With At Risk Production

Mining Insights Newsletter June 2020

A Decade of Underperformance for Gold Discoveries

State of the Market: Mining Q1-2020


Glencore's Katanga unit signs US$250M deal to expand Congo JV

Katanga Mining Ltd.'s majority-owned Kamoto Copper Co. SARL agreed to purchase property around its existing mining concessions in Congo from Gécamines SA for up to US$250 million.

The Glencore PLC unit holds a 75% stake in the Kamoto copper-cobalt joint venture, while state-owned Gécamines owns the remaining 25%.

The property covers the preferred location for building a new long-term tailings facility and other blocks that will allow Kamoto to more efficiently operate its mines, facilities and other key infrastructure, according to a Dec. 20 news release.

Katanga noted that the acquisition, expected to close in 2020, would mitigate risks associated with its operations due to land constraints.

The company will initially pay US$150 million and is required to remove tailings, estimated at about 15 million dry tonnes, to a nearby location. Up to US$120 million of the total consideration can be offset against making "pas de porte" payments to Gécamines if Kamoto Copper declares a JORC-compliant reserve or mines resources in the purchased areas.

Gécamines will also receive a new 2.5% royalty on net sales from the newly acquired areas if Kamoto mines any resources there.

Kamoto Copper expects to fund the consideration payments from existing liquidity, according to the release.