M&A volumes have been depressed for more than six quarters and the regulatory environment is creating more headwinds. In many cases, deal approvals are taking longer and US regulators are poised to continue challenging transactions even after they’ve suffered setbacks in the courts. In recent months, the FTC and Justice Departments have proposed an update to the merger draft guidelines, which agencies used to determine compliance with federal antitrust laws, and a redesign of the premerger notification requirements under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act.
Which trends and strategies can help dealmakers get off the M&A sidelines?
Our panel will discuss:
- An overview of M&A activity and terminations
- Antitrust scrutiny and its impact on activity
- Challenges from in the regulatory proposals
- A spotlight on tech M&A deal impacts
- Regulatory developments to track from a corporate strategic’s viewpoint