latest-news-headlines Market Intelligence /marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/portland-general-shutters-oregon-s-last-coal-plant-60757001 content
Log in to other products

Login to Market Intelligence Platform

 /


Looking for more?

Contact Us

Request a Demo

You're one step closer to unlocking our suite of comprehensive and robust tools.

Fill out the form so we can connect you to the right person.

If your company has a current subscription with S&P Global Market Intelligence, you can register as a new user for access to the platform(s) covered by your license at Market Intelligence platform or S&P Capital IQ.

  • First Name*
  • Last Name*
  • Business Email *
  • Phone *
  • Company Name *
  • City *
  • We generated a verification code for you

  • Enter verification Code here*

* Required

Thank you for your interest in S&P Global Market Intelligence! We noticed you've identified yourself as a student. Through existing partnerships with academic institutions around the globe, it's likely you already have access to our resources. Please contact your professors, library, or administrative staff to receive your student login.

At this time we are unable to offer free trials or product demonstrations directly to students. If you discover that our solutions are not available to you, we encourage you to advocate at your university for a best-in-class learning experience that will help you long after you've completed your degree. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

In This List

Portland General shutters Oregon's last coal plant

Greenhouse gas and gold mines Nearly 1 ton of CO2 emitted per ounce of gold produced in 2019

European Energy Insights - September 2020

Q2: U.S. Solar and Wind Power by the Numbers

Essential Energy Insights - September 17, 2020


Portland General shutters Oregon's last coal plant

Portland General Electric Co. on Oct. 15 shuttered its 585-MW coal-fired Boardman Generating Station in Morrow County, in north-central Oregon, marking the end of coal generation in the state.

"Our customers are counting on us to deliver a clean energy future," Maria Pope, president and CEO of Portland General Electric, or PGE, said in an Oct. 15 statement. "PGE's Boardman closure is a major step on our path to meeting Oregon's greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals and transforming our system to reliably serve our customers with a cleaner, more sustainable energy mix."

PGE owns 90% of the Boardman coal plant, which started operations in 1980, while Idaho Power Company owns the other 10%. Demolition and removal of the plant is scheduled to begin in 2022 following environmental cleanup in 2021.

The closure of the facility 20 years ahead of schedule was in line with a 2010 multi-stakeholder agreement to slash air emissions in Oregon's power sector.

In Boardman's place, PGE has lined up a series of renewable energy and energy storage contracts. That includes deals with NextEra Energy Resources LLC for 300 MW from the Wheatridge Wind Energy Facility as well as 50 MW of solar and 30 MW of battery storage from the Wheatridge Solar & Battery Storage Facility, which are adjacent projects located near Boardman.

The Wheatridge wind farm, which PGE will partly own, is in the final stages of construction and expected online later this year. The nearby solar-plus-storage project is scheduled for completion in 2021, as part of a wave of solar farm development in Oregon.

To meet its near-term energy needs as part of its Boardman retirement strategy, PGE is also purchasing power under five-year contracts from federal hydroelectric marketer Bonneville Power Administration and from Douglas County PUD No. 1, a locally owned utility in Washington. PGE plans to issue a request for proposals in 2021 for additional "non-emitting capacity resources," it said.