Automotive Insights - Canadian EV Information and Analysis Q3 2021
- Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEV) trends in Canada remain strong through the third quarter, with 1 out 20 new vehicles registered in Canada being ZEV.
- Share of ZEV remains steady at 5.3% for the year.
- Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV) have grown 67% or +18,055 units y/y.
- Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV) have grown nationally by 75% or +8,826 units y/y.
- British Columbia leads the way with adoption of electrification where ZEVs account for 12.3% of all new light vehicles for the current year to date.
National Enhanced Fuel Type Trend
Total volume of BEV/PHEV/HEV/FCEV (xEV) decreased in the third quarter versus the second quarter for 2021, with the penetration of xEV vehicles making up 12.2% of the overall market while traditional ICE vehicle share decreased in the same timeframe. Although, xEV decreased in volume by 6.7%, ICE vehicles also decreased by 7.7%, showing that both powertrains are being impacted by inventory shortages in the third quarter.
Only PHEV had a q/q volume increase, +233 units while ICE, BEV and HEV all had volume declines. Brand leaders this quarter across xEVs include: HEV Toyota (13,058), PHEV Toyota (2,317), FCEV Toyota (39) and BEV Tesla (7,909).