An Automotive Minute - Tech Giants and the Auto Industry
The power of digital ecosystems are present in automotive today, largely through the connected lifestyle we enjoy outside the car. Today, Tech Giants like Apple, Amazon, Baidu, DiDi, Google, Tencent, and others provide a pass-through for accessing the messaging, media, and mapping content that each provide.
However, this is not the end for the Tech Giants.
These players are quickly investing to capture more of the mobility market by either becoming a vehicle manufacturer or by partnering with one for custom-built vehicles. These new vehicles will be electric, fully-connected 24-7, and have updatable autonomous driving solutions. IHS Markit forecasts a half a million of these pod-cars will be built in China alone by 2031.
But don't expect to be able to buy one of these pod-cars… they will almost certainly be reserved for ride-sharing, car-sharing, or logistics and fleet applications only.
- Tesla share of EV market declines; Domestics, Koreans and Europeans gain
- January 2023 US auto sales highlight mixed messaging
- The trouble with Nomads
- Americans appear ready for the European car-ordering model
- Pickup owners moving to SUVs (like everyone else)
- Fuel for Thought: Automotive supply chain and technology themes for 2023
- Yet Another Tesla Advantage
- EV start-ups’ share of global BEV market will halve by 2034
As new electric vehicle brands and models come to market, market shares are changing accordingly. Tesla remains the… https://t.co/eGqVDZvhAM
S&P Global Mobility estimates January 2023 US auto sales to advance mildly from the year-ago level; seasonally adju… https://t.co/V69mVKPGR5