ChartIQ Use Cases
Whether you need charts for pre-trade analytics, post-trade analytics, or fixed income divisions we have a solution. Get customized visualization for users of every level throughout all of the finance industry.
A comprehensive technical analysis charting platform
ChartIQ Technical Analysis is a comprehensive charting platform that satisfies advanced technical analysts while preparing generalists for the next level. From retail day traders to institutional power analysts, ChartIQ Technical Analysis provides robust charts and tools for faster trade decisions.
The importance of technical analysis
Technical analysts examine price movements in financial markets so they can identify historical patterns, and by doing so, predict market trends and make smart, data-backed decisions. With a strong charting solution in place, these analysts can visualize movements and patterns in a more meaningful way, which leads to faster trade decisions and happier clients. For vendors and brokerages, an advanced technical analysis solution can by the key to attracting and retaining active traders.
MACD and RSI studies below a candlestick chart with Bollinger Bands and channel lines.
A comprehensive tool for technical analysts
Technical analysts depend on an arsenal of advanced tools to help them uncover patterns and spot trends in the market. ChartIQ provides a truly comprehensive trading analytics platform that covers all their needs, from moving averages to oscillators, support and resistance levels to technical indicators.
With ChartIQ, technical analysts can:
- Incorporate third-party data, including proprietary content, alternative data sets, or analytics from any data source. Gain insights with data forecasting S&P Global data
- Plot trades, research, news, and social or economic reports directly on the chart as events or visualize as swim lanes
- Plot multiple instruments across every asset class
- Draw from 125+ technical indicators, 20 chart types and a suite of advanced drawing tools
- Apply studies at any time increment and on any chart type, including Renko, Kagi and Point & Figure, from sub-second bars to daily/weekly/monthly
- See each trade as it occurs in real-time with scrolling tick charts
- Leverage SignalIQ to define signal events based on custom criteria, which appear as markers to aid and real-time and technical analysis
- Create linked graphic experiences with term structure, option curves and related cross-section plots
- Incorporate advanced studies that support Options Analytics and trading
Technical analysts depend on technical indicators, or studies, to help them predict what the price will do next. Drawing tools help traders visualize trends. Chart types help analysts see market action more clearly.
- Bollinger Bands
- Williams %R
- Plus 100+ more
- Elliott Wave Drawing Tool
- Plus Many More
- Colored Bar
- Hollow Candle
- Volume Candle
- HLC Bar
- Scatter Plot (time series)
- Heikin Ashi
- Line Break
- Range Bars
- Point & figure
Price Oscillator and RSI studies below a candlestick chart with Bollinger Bands and Elliot Wave overlays. Drawing tools, events panel and 100+ studies dropdown shown.
Technical Stock Charts with the power to do more
Give traders the power to customize and integrate charts into their workflow, whether they are generalists just dappling in technical analysis or power technical analysts. Deliver a custom set of technical studies and drawing tools, and leverage the ChartIQ API to meet any UX design standard. Learn what makes ChartIQ Unique
Unparalleled performance across any device
Visit the ChartIQ mobile page
to learn more.
Study browser for trader education
The Study Browser is a flyout menu that enables traders to discover and learn more about studies directly on the chart. They can find studies by search, active, favorites, most popular, or category, and read through a detailed overview of each.
Partnership IntegrationsWith the Estimize plug-in, users can access crowdsourced earnings and revenue estimates from 100,000 analysts. For more technical traders, the Trading Central plug-in provides expert analytics on over 72,000 financial instruments.
Platform Feature Highlights
Compare multiple instruments across one time feed or compare the same instrument across many time intervals. Traders can also look at an instrument using different chart types or select from predefined templates to create a customized workflow.
Add technical indicators to your screener and alert engines. Traders gain an additional edge when they can search a universe of securities.
Elliot Wave Drawing Tool
Automatically label impulse and corrective waves in accordance with Elliott Wave methodology.
Plotting events is a necessary part of visualizing data. But some events aren’t a single point on a chart – some events have a beginning, middle, and end. ChartIQ Trade Visualization allows you analyze the lifespan of an event and see its impact on market activity. Firms can plot the lifecycle of an order, create a Post-Trade Visualization, and in turn, meet the requirements of Dodd-Frank and MiFID II.
Benefits for Users:
- See the contextual relevance of events on the market
- Connect what’s happening in the market to external events—news, corporate actions, etc.
- Understand the relationship between elements of a complex event
Benefit for Providers:
- Present clients with a unique view of the market, with the ability to layer in proprietary data and visualize interactions with market data
- See how a given event can affect market movement
Use Case: Post-Trade Visualization
Image shows a customized events panel displaying all your data points.
What happens in the life cycle of an order matters. Post-Trade Visualization enables firms to see a clear picture of how orders were executed by merging proprietary data like chats, phone logs, and OMS/EMS data with relevant market or third-party data. As a result, slippage, liquidity fluctuations, algo performance, and countless other order dynamics are surfaced.
Compliance offers can use Post-Trade Visualization for regulatory requirements. For example, they can reconstruct trades using logged communications, visualize the sequence of events using “swimlanes,” and reconstitute the lifecycle of an order.
Use Case: Transaction Cost Analysis
Image shows when and where trades were executed.
Trade Visualization supports Transaction Cost Analysis by showing when and where the trades were executed. See each execution related to bid or ask, understand the price impact of market transactions, and include charts in TCA reports.
A holistic platform to analyze and trade on any platform
Powered by ChartIQ’s Core Charting Library, Active Trader plus Trade from Chart offers a trading-specific toolkit that can be seamlessly delivered on all platforms and devices. Utilize an off-the-shelf white labeled solution that’s easy to assemble.
The Active Trader Package
- View a tabular display of market transactions and trade history
- Analyze the supply/demand balance with graphical view of market depth
- View bid (buy) and ask (sell) levels with market depth
- See every trade using a scrolling tick chart
- Apply technical studies to sub-minute and sub-second bars
- View all open orders and execute a trade directly from built-in order book
- Trade directly from the chart on any device
- Chart the Level 2 heatmap to see the orderbook over time
Built for Active Trading
- Deliver a sophisticated UI specifically built for active trading
- Get industry-specific insight through the order book with volume profiles
- See a detailed record of trades and transactions with the trade blotter
- Work seamlessly across devices so traders that place orders at their desk can check status or update positions from their mobile devices, order book, or trade blotter
- Easily add interactive time series charts to your application or web page with drop-in templates
- Integrate 50,000+ datapoints that update in real time with ChartIQ’s HTML5 Canvas
- Simplify the management of trading dashboards with a single solution —regardless of application framework
- Maintain your existing technology stack
CrossPlot Data Visualization
CrossPlot provides linked graphic displays through cross-section plots and specializes in displaying data as a snapshot in time across an array of instruments. More complex than time series charts, CrossPlot provides the ability to display up to seven data dimensions simultaneously.
A complement to time-series charts
CrossPlot is a single, flexible chart that serves as a complement to the time-series charting that the finance industry is accustomed to. We used CrossPlot to build our Options Analytics and Term Structure Graph solutions.
With CrossPlot you can:
- Display data that isn’t tied to a time series or calendar dates
- Select and compare individual data points against each other
- Swap out the axes to display different aspects of data like categorical as opposed to numerical
Reimage the way you display data
CrossPlot shows many dimensions of data simultaneously using size, color, positioning, and data labels. In addition to the two chosen labels on the axes, users can see six dimensions of data in one chart.
Building in integrations using both chart offerings will allow users to dive deep into their data and explore it from many different perspectives.
CrossPlot use cases
The benefits of CrossPlot extend into all sectors of finance, leading to a broad array of creative use cases.
Fixed Income: Clients who deal in bonds can benefit from our real-time Yield Curve implementation.
Derivatives: CrossPlot implementations handle many use cases involving Options Analytics
A unique way to view data
Every chart tells a story. CrossPlot takes this narrative to a new level with endless possibilities for data display.
With categorical charts in addition to time-series charts being the norm, interplay between these two charts is unique to ChartIQ. With CrossPlot, you’ll see the rich interaction required to support data exploration and comprehension.
CrossPlot is available now as a premium package add-on to your core Chart.
With ChartIQ, robust visualizations help traders answer complicated options analysis questions such as puts or calls, or which expiry to trade.
Our innovative set of powerful analytical tools helps traders navigate the complicated possibilities involved with options analytics and visualize their strategy.
Give traders the power to visualize and build their options strategy
With ChartIQ Options Analytics, traders can:
- Visualize data in real-time—implied volatility, volume, open interest, greeks or bid/ask
- Combine technical analysis with options market activity and position information
- Use volatility to project probable future price range
- Plot historical volatility, implied volatility history, put/call ratios with underlying price data
- Compare shifts in option curves over time, option expiries or across instruments
Leverage proprietary studies to visualize options data
The Sentiment by Strike study overlays options volume or open interest on the price chart.
The integration of options data in context of the underlying price data allows users to expand their knowledge of markets with technical analysis. Using the Sentiment by Strike study, traders can understand how their peers as well as “smart money” are positioned in the options market.
Options Analytics elevates traders to a more sophisticated trading strategy by enabling them to visualize options in a format used every day for trading underlying equities.
Price Chart with Volatility Cone and Sentiment by Strike studies displayed
Fast Implementation and Time to Value
ChartIQ’s extensive software development kit (SDK) shortens the onboarding timeline and minimizes the effort required to realize its value. Our documentation is easy, with a robust Getting Started guide and customer support to help you along the way. It’s an easy way to get an options analysis solution to your traders, faster.
Term Structure Graph
ChartIQ’s Term Structure Graph provides robust data visualization and interactive graphic displays to fixed income, currencies, and commodities (FICC) trading divisions.
Benefits to the FICC Trader
- Visualize data instantly
- Monitor market activity in real time
- Zoom and pan with interactive charts
- Spot relationships between points on the curve
- See recent updates with time-stamped data points
- Compare curves over time and across products
- Drill down to a time series chart for multiple instruments
- Build curve spreads with interactive analysis tool
Live graphics for all sectors of finance
✔ Yield Curve
Compare financial instrument yields at various maturity dates, from one month to 30 years.
✔Commodity and Financial Futures Term Structure
Plot the array of futures contract prices for currently listed instruments, highlighting the relationship of supply and demand based on the delivery date of the contract.
✔FX Forwards and Swaps
Visually plot and analyze a currency pair’s forward curve across a selected time frame.
See Price Fluctuation in Real-TimeMonitor datapoints in real time, putting an end to static snapshots. One-click access shows an interactive time-series chart, displaying a detailed history of the instrument. Datapoints automatically update and are highlighted when the price has changed.
Customize Charts to Your Needs
Visualize an array of securities, including futures, swaps, forwards, and options. Change settings, data fields, date range, and support multiple curves. Choose your own content by modifying the X-axis using an array of value/label pairs to compare any type of data, for example an implied volatility curve.