The media space is constantly changing, given technology disruptions, ongoing M&A activity, and rapidly evolving consumer preferences. Understanding developments at a country and company level is critical to support investment decisions and product development initiatives, yet staying on top of global trends can be challenging. The Investment Management team at an Asian-based media and entertainment firm needed to have better sector-specific information and analysis to help validate their portfolio strategies, assess the competitive landscape, and understand potential threats and opportunities from emerging digital trends.
The Investment Management team didn’t have access to the detailed technology, media, and telecommunications (TMT) information needed to fully understand global market dynamics and competitor business models to support their decision making. The team also spent a great deal of time building Excel® templates and models to evaluate the financial performance of the firm’s existing investments and prepare reports for senior management. They wanted to focus on higher-value activities to help optimize their portfolio and support forward-looking decisions. The team knew they needed to upgrade their capabilities with a comprehensive platform that could enhance their workflow efficiency with relevant data, well-informed insights, and robust analytical tools.
S&P Global Market Intelligence (“Market Intelligence”) met with the Investment Management team to discuss a solution for its evolving media needs, which included:
- Detailed insights and data for TV networks, multichannel/pay TV, film/TV programming, and 1,000¹ plus over-the-top (OTT) service and device deployments.
- Powerful screening tools to identify digital media services and providers at a country and company level.
- Daily top new stories announcing breaking developments.
- Proprietary research on the business strategies of TMT firms and how these firms are performing in different markets.
- Over 80² country-level models used to size and forecast specific sectors within the media landscape, including technologies such as mobile that are driving market disruption.
- Pre-built Excel® templates and models to free up time for core analytical work, plus an Excel modelling team for assistance with customizing templates.
The Investment Management team saw a number of important benefits by using the Market Intelligence platform. This included the ability to:
- Stay on top of TMT trends around the world and potential new disruptive services with detailed, sector-specific data and news.
- Assess the size and diversity of global media services and providers at a country level using robust screening tools, plus TMT company profiles and financials.
- Evaluate potential risks before entering a market with insights on a country’s outlook and competitor activity.
- Spend more time on strategic issues and accelerate the research process by leveraging pre-built templates and models.
- Easily produce reports by drawing on Market Intelligence’s TMT news and research to help assess peer groups, describe investment performance, and supplement team presentations.
Learn More About Market IntelligenceRequest Demo
Understanding the Global Media Landscape
Download Full Report