Exploring the Geoscience Data Management Landscape
How are upstream operators setting their geoscience teams up for success? Which data management capabilities are most important? And which geo data challenges are outstanding? These questions and others are answered in a report based on a survey of industry participants.
The geoscience team is central to the growth and success of any upstream operator. However, highly-skilled geoscientists and their colleagues often find their productivity impacted by poor data management practices, with hours spent trying to remediate data quality issues or manually reconcile data between applications and projects in order to conduct analysis.
Industry analysts IDC conducted a survey of 50 representatives from operators across North America and Europe (including majors, NOCs, IOCs and independents) to understand their strategies for maximizing productivity by addressing the data / data management needs of the geoscience function.
The topics covered include:
- Identifying opportunities to automate geo data workflows
- Increasing confidence in geo data quality and integrity
- Synchronizing data updates at the project, application, and departmental levels
- Addressing data volume increases
- Improving transparency and data lineage
- Making a business case for data management
- Prioritizing data management enhancements for 2023 and 2024
- And more