BY CONTINUING TO USE THIS SITE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO OUR USE OF COOKIES. REVIEW OUR
COOKIE NOTICE

Register with us today

and in less than 60 seconds continue your access to:Latest news headlinesAnalytical topics and featuresCommodities videos, podcast & blogsSample market prices & dataSpecial reportsSubscriber notes & daily commodity email alerts

Already have an account?

Log in to register

Forgot Password

Please Note: Platts Market Center subscribers can only reset passwords via the Platts Market Center

Enter your Email ID below and we will send you an email with your password.


  • Email Address*Please enter email address.

If you are a premium subscriber, we are unable to send you your password for security reasons. Please contact the Client Services team.

IF you are a Platts Market Center subscriber, to reset your password go to the�Platts Market Center to reset your password.

In this list
Natural Gas

China's Unipec eyes more short-term LNG purchases, spot indexation

Steel

China's winter cut policy and its impact on steel production

Natural Gas | Natural Gas (North American) | Crude Oil

Platts Upstream Indicator

Electric Power | Natural Gas | Financial Services | Utilities | Structured Finance

Global Power Markets Conference, 34th Annual

Natural Gas

China gets first US LNG cargo since imposition of retaliatory tariffs

China's Unipec eyes more short-term LNG purchases, spot indexation

Highlights

Buyers seek spot indexation to manage resale risk: Unipec

Unipec aims to expand global LNG trading profile

In discussion for term contracts starting from 2023

Shanghai — China's Unipec is looking to secure more spot and short-term LNG supply deals over 2019-22 to diversify away from more costly oil-linked long-term contracts, and enhance risk management capabilities in an increasingly deregulated and liquid global gas market.

Not registered?

Receive daily email alerts, subscriber notes & personalize your experience.

Register Now

Unipec, the international trading arm of state-owned Sinopec, currently secures 20-30% of its LNG requirements from the spot market, Zhang Chunbao, general manager with the natural gas division of Unipec, said at the China International Oil and Gas Trade Congress in Shanghai Friday.

"We cannot depend 100% on the spot market to secure our supplies, as our calculation shows that an additional 3-4 million mt of spot demand is able to lift spot prices by $1/MMbtu," he said.

"Buyers prefer to price long-term supplies against spot LNG benchmarks like [Platts] JKM, which leads to less price risk for reselling the cargoes," Zhang said. "It used to be the buyers taking the risk for LNG project development, but now this is increasingly being shared among suppliers, buyers and investment banks," Zhang said.

Over January-September, Sinopec suffered losses worth Yuan 4 billion in LNG imports, partly caused by rising crude oil prices, Song Zhenguo, deputy director general of the corporate finance department, said during the state-owned company's Q3 results earlier this month.

LNG Daily

Platts LNG Daily is vital reading as LNG supply dynamics continue to evolve in major markets including Japan, China, the Middle East, India, Australia, South America and the US. Click the link below to see how this publication can help meet your business needs.

Free Trial

"Oil prices have increased, so our LNG term contract prices are higher," Zhenguo said at the time.

The company is also looking to build more gas storage capacity to reduce bottlenecks in the peak winter season, grow its LNG trading profile, and is in discussions with potential suppliers for long-term contracts starting from 2023, Zhang said.

Unipec, which has an LNG trading desk in Singapore, currently trades around 2 million-3 million mt/year of LNG in overseas markets, and targets to grow the volume to 10 million mt/year in the coming years, in line with its expanding crude oil trading activities, Zhang said.

Unipec, the world's biggest crude oil trader, traded 340 million mt of crude oil in 2017, 55% for imports into China and the remaining 45% for trading in the international markets.

--Abache Abreu, abache.abreu@spglobal.com

--Oceana Zhou, oceana.zhou@spglobal.com

--Edited by Jonathan Fox, newsdesk@spglobal.com