BY CONTINUING TO USE THIS SITE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO OUR USE OF COOKIES. REVIEW OUR
COOKIE NOTICE

Register with us today

and in less than 60 seconds continue your access to:Latest news headlinesAnalytical topics and featuresCommodities videos, podcast & blogsSample market prices & dataSpecial reportsSubscriber notes & daily commodity email alerts

Already have an account?

Log in to register

Forgot Password

Please Note: Platts Market Center subscribers can only reset passwords via the Platts Market Center

Enter your Email ID below and we will send you an email with your password.


  • Email Address* Please enter email address.

If you are a premium subscriber, we are unable to send you your password for security reasons. Please contact the Client Services team.

If you are a Platts Market Center subscriber, to reset your password go to the Platts Market Center to reset your password.

In this list
Natural Gas

Rosneft, CNPC expand cooperation into LNG sector, speed up refinery project

Natural Gas | Oil | Crude Oil

So what happened at MPGC 2019?

Natural Gas

Platts Inside FERC Bidweek Watch

Renewables | Natural Gas | Fuel Oil | Utilities

Central American Energy Conference, 22nd Annual

Natural Gas

Sinopec's gas storage start-up set to increase China's gas, LNG supply optionality

Rosneft, CNPC expand cooperation into LNG sector, speed up refinery project

Highlights

Russia's Rosneft and China National Petroleum Corporation have signed an agreement to deepen their strategic partnership, including through developing joint LNG projects and accelerating work on a joint refinery construction, the Russian company said Monday.

Not registered?

Receive daily email alerts, subscriber notes & personalize your experience.

Register Now

"The parties intend to apply joint efforts to expand the strategic cooperation, including in the LNG sector, which embraces potential Russian LNG supplies to China," it said in a statement.

The agreement was signed during a visit by China's Premier Li Keqiang to Moscow, with Rosneft's CEO Igor Sechin and CNPC vice president Wang Dongjin inking the deal in the presence of Russia's Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.

Russia has been actively developing ties with China over the last few years to diversify its energy export markets away from Europe, and the pace of its reorientation seems to have accelerated in recent months against the backdrop of the ongoing standoff between Western countries and Russia over Moscow's role in the Ukrainian crisis.


"Russia and China are interested in deepening and expanding cooperation in the oil and gas sector," Sechin was quoted as saying after the signing ceremony.

"Our companies have created a favorable environment for cooperation and we intend to further promote long-term mutually beneficial collaboration," he said, according to the company's statement.

The Monday agreement "envisages elaboration of current and potential strategic cooperation areas," including upstream projects in Russian and refining projects in China, according to Rosneft.

TIANJIN REFINERY

In particular, the parties expected to make an investment decision regarding construction of the Tianjin Refinery in March 2016, with a view to completing it by the end of 2019, it said.

The partners previously expected to take the FID on the refinery in early 2017 and to build the facility by "no later than the end of 2020," Rosneft said in October 2013.

Current cooperation between Rosneft and CNPC includes: crude supplies under a long-term crude sale and purchase agreement; crude, oil products and petrochemicals exports within the framework of tenders; Vostok-Energy upstream joint venture to explore and develop an oil project in eastern Siberian Irkutsk region; Vostok Petrochemicals joint venture to build the Tianjin Refinery and the sale of refined products from the facility in China and across regional markets.

Last year, the partners agreed to increase the refinery's capacity to 16 million mt/year, or 320,000 b/d, up from 260,000 b/d originally planned.

Rosneft and CNPC first agreed to conduct the front-end engineering design study for the refinery and held a groundbreaking ceremony to mark the start of construction in September 2010. But there has been little progress on the project since then because of question marks hanging over its economic viability.

At the time, the planned 260,000 b/d refinery was expected to be built by 2015, at a cost of $5 billion.

CNPC owns a 51% stake in the JV, with Rosneft holding the remaining 49%.

Rosneft supplies 300,000 b/d of crude to CNPC under a long-term contract signed in 2009. Under a new deal reached in June, Rosneft is to gradually double crude supplies to CNPC by 2018, the Chinese company said at the time.

--Nadia Rodova, nadia.rodova@platts.com
--Edited by Alisdair Bowles, alisdair.bowles@platts.com