BY CONTINUING TO USE THIS SITE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO OUR USE OF COOKIES. REVIEW OUR
COOKIE NOTICE

Register with us today

and in less than 60 seconds continue your access to:Latest news headlinesAnalytical topics and featuresCommodities videos, podcast & blogsSample market prices & dataSpecial reportsSubscriber notes & daily commodity email alerts

Already have an account?

Log in to register

Forgot Password

Please Note: Platts Market Center subscribers can only reset passwords via the Platts Market Center

Enter your Email ID below and we will send you an email with your password.


  • Email Address* Please enter email address.

If you are a premium subscriber, we are unable to send you your password for security reasons. Please contact the Client Services team.

If you are a Platts Market Center subscriber, to reset your password go to the Platts Market Center to reset your password.

In this list
Natural Gas

Crude oil, NGL to account for 80% of 2017 drilling in Canada, rigs up: PSAC

Natural Gas | Oil

US oil and gas production outlook for 2019: Permian, Bakken, Appalachia

Natural Gas | Oil

Platts Wellscape P2P

Agriculture | Natural Gas | LNG | NGL | Oil | Crude Oil | Refined Products | Petrochemicals | Shipping

Houston Energy Forum at the S&P Global Platts Energy Symposium

Natural Gas

GIA South runs parallel with bullish Southeast gas market

Crude oil, NGL to account for 80% of 2017 drilling in Canada, rigs up: PSAC

Calgary — Nearly 80% of the total wells to be drilled in Canada in 2017 will be targeted at crude oil and NGLs and the remaining 20% at natural gas, the president of an oil services industry group said Tuesday.

Not registered?

Receive daily email alerts, subscriber notes & personalize your experience.

Register Now

"With WTI prices stabilizing over $50/b for the past month, conventional producers in Alberta and Saskatchewan will be spending more dollars in drilling and are already hiring rigs," Petroleum Services Association of Canada President Mark Salkeld said.

The bulk of the drilling will take place in the Cardium and Duvernay plays in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin, with the "dominant" areas include Rocky Mountain House, Wapiti and Sundre, he said.



The winter drilling season in Western Canada -- which extends from early December to end of March -- has been active and the total number of rigs in operation on January 31 is 355, Salkeld said.

This is compared with some 250 rigs deployed in January end last year, he said.

On Monday, assuming a WTI price of $52.50/b and an AECO gas price of C$3 ($2.3)/MMBtu, PSAC forecast that a total of 5,150 wells will be drilled in Canada in the current year.

In 2016, the total number of wells drilled was 3,950, he said.

In 2017, Alberta is forecast to have the most wells drilled at 2,706, followed by Saskatchewan at 1,985, British Columbia at 367 and Manitoba at 73. The remaining 19 wells will be drilled in Eastern Canada, PSAC said.

--Ashok Dutta, newsdesk@spglobal.com

--Edited by Derek Sands, derek.sands@spglobal.com