BY CONTINUING TO USE THIS SITE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO OUR USE OF COOKIES. REVIEW OUR
COOKIE NOTICE

Register with us today

and in less than 60 seconds continue your access to:Latest news headlinesAnalytical topics and featuresCommodities videos, podcast & blogsSample market prices & dataSpecial reportsSubscriber notes & daily commodity email alerts

Already have an account?

Log in to register

Forgot Password

Please Note: Platts Market Center subscribers can only reset passwords via the Platts Market Center

Enter your Email ID below and we will send you an email with your password.


  • Email Address* Please enter email address.

If you are a premium subscriber, we are unable to send you your password for security reasons. Please contact the Client Services team.

If you are a Platts Market Center subscriber, to reset your password go to the Platts Market Center to reset your password.

In this list
Electric Power

ExxonMobil divests power generation business in Hong Kong

Coal | Emissions | Electric Power | Emissions | Renewables | Natural Gas | LNG

CERAWeek refelctions: Fuel diversity in focus for an energy-hungry world

Electric Power

Platts Market Data – Electric Power

Commodities | Energy | Electric Power | Emissions | Renewables | Natural Gas | Natural Gas (North American)

Northeast Power and Gas Conference

Oil

Western Australia's LNG Port of Dampier cleared ahead of Cyclone Veronica

ExxonMobil divests power generation business in Hong Kong

Highlights

US major ExxonMobil has divested its power generation business in Hong Kong, selling its 60% stake in Castle Peak Power to existing partner CLP Holdings and China Southern Power Grid, CLP said Monday.

Not registered?

Receive daily email alerts, subscriber notes & personalize your experience.

Register Now

The deal, including the divestment of ExxonMobil's majority stake in a pumped storage entity, is valued at HK$26 billion ($3.4 billion).

A spokeswoman for ExxonMobil in Hong Kong said Tuesday the sale was part of the company's routine review of its business portfolio.

"We continuously assess opportunities for growth, divestment or restructuring to see if they fit in with our overall business objectives."


In a filing to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, CLP said it and CSG will each buy a 30% stake in the power company -- known as Capco -- from ExxonMobil, which will result in CLP raising its stake from 40% to 70% and CSG owning the remaining 30%.

CLP said its share of the acquisition in Capco will amount to HK$12 billion and the consideration was decided "after arm's length negotiations between the parties". Media reports of ExxonMobil's intention to sell the power business had surfaced in March this year although talks between the three companies had reportedly stalled over disagreement on valuations.

In addition, CLP said Monday it will also acquire all of ExxonMobil's 51% interest in Hong Kong Pumped Storage Development Co. for HK$2 billion. CLP will now own 100% of PSDC, which has contractual rights to use the Guangzhou Pumped Storage Power Station.

Capco owns three power stations in Hong Kong with total power generation capacity of 6,908 MW -- the Castle Peak Power Station, the Black Point Power Station and the Penny's Bay Power Station.

--Song Yen Ling, yenling.song@platts.com
--Edited by Deepa Vijiyasingam, deepa.vijiyasingam@platts.com