Register with us today

and in less than 60 seconds continue your access to:Latest news headlinesAnalytical topics and featuresCommodities videos, podcast & blogsSample market prices & dataSpecial reportsSubscriber notes & daily commodity email alerts

Already have an account?

Log in to register

Forgot Password

Please Note: Platts Market Center subscribers can only reset passwords via the Platts Market Center

Enter your Email ID below and we will send you an email with your password.


  • Email Address* Please enter email address.

If you are a premium subscriber, we are unable to send you your password for security reasons. Please contact the Client Services team.

If you are a Platts Market Center subscriber, to reset your password go to the Platts Market Center to reset your password.

In this list
Coal

AEP expects 2014 coal burn to be comparable to this year

Oil | Crude Oil

Citgo's fate hangs on PDVSA bond payment deadline

Coal

Platts Global Coal Alert

Commodities | Electricity | LNG

Infrastructure Summit, Inaugural

Coal

Norfolk Southern coal traffic drops on weak global competition: company execs

AEP expects 2014 coal burn to be comparable to this year

Highlights

Daily pricing for tons and allowances for SO2 and NOx emissions

The exclusive Platts OTC Broker Index, a market assessment compiled from three of the largest and most respected coal brokers

What happened in yesterday's OTC markets, and why

An analysis of coal price trends in all major U.S. producing areas

Details of how major coal companies are trading in the financial markets

Coverage of mine openings, closings, production

Reports on who's in the market for coal

American Electric Power, one of the nation's largest electric utilities, said Tuesday its total coal burn in 2014 should be around 56 million short tons, comparable to 2013 if not a bit higher.

Not registered?

Receive daily email alerts, subscriber notes & personalize your experience.

Register Now

The Columbus, Ohio-based company, during a presentation viewed online from an Edison Electric Institute conference in Orlando, Florida, said its regulated business is expected to burn about 40 million st of coal next year, its competitive fleet about 16 million st.

AEP already has contracted for 78% of the 2014 coal for the regulated business, comprising AEP's electric utilities in several states, while 95% of the coal has been committed for its competitive sector.


AEP projects an average delivered price of $45/st for its regulated business and $58/st for its competitive business in 2014.

For the company's AEP East regulated business, next year's coal supply is divided fairly evenly among three basins: Powder River Basin, 39%; Northern Appalachia, 33%; and Central Appalachia, 28%.

PRB coal is expected to account for 76% of the supply for the AEP West regulated business next year, with lignite coal filling in the remaining 24%. On the competitive side, 74% of the coal will come from Northern App, 12% each from the Illinois Basin and Central App, and 2% from the PRB.

Tammy Rideout, an AEP spokeswoman, said the company expects to burn around 55 million st in 2013, so next year's burn could be a little higher.

Part of the reason for that is because AEP does not plan to retire any coal units in 2014. The company has already retired the 450-MW Philip Sporn Unit 5 in West Virginia and the 165-MW Conesville Unit 3 in Ohio.

But after 2014, the planned retirement of older coal units is set to accelerate. AEP intends to shutter about 5,000 MW of coal capacity in 2015 in several states, including Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Virginia and West Virginia.

Altogether, AEP plans to idle more than 6,000 MW of coal capacity, mostly in the Midwest.

According to the company, existing environmental regulations and market conditions are forecast to drive a 64% increase in natural gas capacity and a 27% decrease in coal capacity in 2016.

AEP's coal burn has slowly declined over the past several years. The company once consumed in excess of 70 million st annually, but that figure had dropped to 57.1 million st by 2012.

--Bob Matyi, newsdesk@platts.com
--Edited by Jason Lindquist, jason.lindquist@platts.com