Produced by the Knowledge Center, expert training from S&P Global Market Intelligence
Our Mining Insight seminar provides a comprehensive and straightforward explanation of global mining. You will get a clear picture of the global mining industry’s structure and activity, as well as a basic understanding of mineral economics and stakeholder considerations.
Overview of the Mining Sector
Size and shape of the global mining industry, including a summary of the largest mines/companies, and the most important commodities.
Geology and Mineral Deposits Overview
Summary of the target minerals and metals, the geological processes, the types of deposit and how they are measured.
Mining on the Surface and Going Underground
Examination of the main mining methods, techniques involved and the types of equipment.
Overview of metals-recovery stages, including milling, smelting and refining, and waste handling.
Explanation of the influences on metals demand and supply, and on costs, and the long-term price behaviour of commodities.
Mining activity as a source of wealth for governments & local communities and a means to wider economic growth; the incorporate of sustainability as a core consideration.
You will leave the seminar being able to:
- Describe the structure of the mining industry
- Explain the main mining methods and techniques
- Understand the processes for metals recovery
- Recognize the role of supply, demand, the determining factors of cost, the impact of exchange rates, the various factors influencing industry structure and how the market determines pricing
- Explain the considerations and concerns of multiple industry stakeholders