Tencent Holdings Ltd.-backed livestreaming platform Wuhan Douyu Network Technology Co. Ltd. has been pulled from certain smartphone app stores amid China's intensifying content crackdown, the South China Morning Post of Hong Kong reported.
Douyu was reportedly unavailable on Apple Inc.'s China App Store, while Xiaomi Corp. and Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd.'s stores hosted a version with restricted functionality, according to the report.
New users will not be able to download Douyu, but the removal will not affect existing users.
The move comes as microblogging platform Weibo announced that it would not allow anyone under the age of 14 to register for its services, the South China Morning Post said.
Earlier this year, Tencent and Weibo Corp. had volunteered to remove questionable content and disable sharing functions on their network for those videos and posts.
Meanwhile, China's State Administration of Radio and Television demanded earlier in the week of April 9 that internet startup Beijing Byte Dance Telecommunications Co. Ltd. should remove a joke-sharing app. The State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television ordered news site Toutiao to shutter its operations due to the nature of its content.
The Cyberspace Administration of China said Sept. 26 that Phoenix New Media Ltd.'s news portal Ifeng.com had disseminated illegal and harmful information and suspended the NYSE-listed news site.