S&P Global Market Intelligence presents a weekly rundown of recent executive management, board and regulatory changes in the energy industry. The moves are listed by sector in reverse chronological order.
* Mark Miller has become COO of AES Corp.'s U.S. strategic business unit, which includes IPALCO Enterprises Inc. and Indianapolis Power & Light Co., among others. Miller replaces Andrew Horrocks, who will oversee major construction projects at other AES U.S. companies, including the company's Southland repowering projects in California, effective March 23. In addition, Barry Bentley, Bradley Scott and Fabian Souza have been elected to the board of IPALCO Enterprises, effective March 28.
* Emera Inc. announced March 29 that Scott Balfour will be the new CEO when Chris Huskilson steps down in 2018. Huskilson had agreed to provide Emera with at least a year's notice of plans to retire. "Balfour has also assumed responsibility for leading corporate strategy and is the chair of the board for most of Emera's affiliates," the company said.
* Oglethorpe Power Corp. re-elected Bobby Smith as chairman and Marshall Millwood as vice chairman of its board of directors. Both Smith and Millwood are at-large member directors of the board. Other board members re-elected at the annual meeting were Jim White, Tony Ham, Danny Nichols and Chip Jakins.
* Itron Inc. said March 28 that Executive Vice President and CFO Mark Schmitz resigned from the company, effective immediately, but will stay for a month to ensure a smooth transition during the first-quarter accounting close. While the company looks for a qualified replacement, Robert Farrow will serve as interim CFO, according to a news release.
* Toronto Hydro Corp. on March 27 announced that Sean Bovingdon will take over as the company's executive vice president and CFO, effective April 3. Bovingdon will replace Laura Foster, who has served as interim CFO since December 2015 and has accepted another role on the executive team.
* NiSource Inc. announced March 24 that Executive Vice President and COO Jim Stanley will retire from the company, effective June 1. In addition, Pablo Vegas was appointed the company's executive vice president of gas segment and chief customer officer, effective May 1. NiSource also promoted Mike Finissi to executive vice president of safety, capital execution and technical services from senior vice president of capital execution.
* Sanchez Production Partners LP's general partner appointed Patricio Sanchez as its new president. Sanchez is a board member of Sanchez Production Partners' general partner and has served as the COO since May 2015.
* Holly Krutka was named Peabody Energy Corp.'s new vice president of coal generation and emissions technologies, effective April 3. In her new role, she will help advance the use of high efficiency, low emissions technologies, including public policy proposals to advance the commercialization of carbon capture use and storage technology.
* Gary Kohn has become the official CFO of Westmoreland Coal Co., effective March 6. Kohn joined the company in April 2016 and served as vice president of investor relations and treasurer until his promotion to interim CFO in November 2016.