In this feature, S&P Global Market Intelligence presents a bi-weekly global roundup of the latest developments in technology.
* Apple Inc. is developing a chip that will handle AI-related tasks on devices, Bloomberg News reported May 26, citing a source familiar with the details.
* Alphabet Inc.'s self-driving car unit Waymo LLC is exploring the integration of its self-driving technology into trucks, Reuters reported June 1.
* Bahrain operator Batelco said June 4 that it tapped Tata Communications Ltd. as a partner in expanding the footprint of the companies' global data center, cloud and connectivity solutions.
* Italian mobile joint venture Wind Tre SpA unveiled Wind Tre Business, which will provide internet of things and cloud services to businesses, Telecompaper reported May 24.
5G AND THE INTERNET OF THINGS
* Apple on June 5 debuted its first connected home speaker alongside updates to the iPad, Watch OS and other products and services.
* Russia's Mobile TeleSystems PJSC expanded its tech partnership with Nokia Corp., Telecompaper reported June 5. The expanded deal will allow MTS and its NVision Group ZAO unit to work with Nokia on solutions for IoT and cloud technologies, among others.
* ZTE Corp. said June 2 that it will work with Liberty Global plc's Belgian unit Telenet on 5G technologies and IoT.
* IoT network provider Ingenu Inc. said June 1 that it deployed an IoT network in Nigeria, in partnership with Upland Global Wireless Technology Ltd.
* AT&T Inc. is set to test 5G services and equipment operating in three U.S. states, WirelessWeek.com reported May 30.
* Nokia, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. unit NTT DOCOMO Inc. and Intel Corp. teamed up to conduct 5G trials in Japan, according to a May 24 news release.
* Vodafone Group Plc is rolling out live narrowband IoT networks in Australia, New Zealand and Germany in the second half, ZDNet reported May 24.
* Apple is gearing up to test 5G technologies in two locations in California, Business Insider reported May 23.
* Entel Chile struck a deal to offer Cisco Jasper's IoT connectivity platform M2M Manager to its business customers, Telecompaper reported May 23.
VIRTUAL REALITY AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
* Apple on June 5 unveiled the iOS 11 operating system, which will bring major updates to the Apple Pay platform, as well as to the Siri voice assistant that uses machine learning and AI technology.
* Fujitsu Ltd. and German software company SAP SE expanded their global partnership to offer advanced enterprise resource planning solutions that use AI and IoT, according to a June 4 news release.
* Google Inc. is partnering with Sharp Corp. to co-develop liquid crystal displays for VR devices, The Nikkei reported May 30.
* CBS Corp. unit CBS Radio Inc. said May 25 that it joined forces with AI company Veritone Inc. to enable AI capabilities for 117 radio stations in 26 U.S. markets.
DRONES AND OTHER DEVICES
* Microsoft Corp. is buying cybersecurity company Hexadite Ltd. for $100 million, Reuters reported May 24, citing Calcalist. Hexadite offers technology to automate responses to cyberattacks.
* JD.com Inc. said May 22 that it is forming a low-altitude drone logistics network that will cover China's northwestern province of Shaanxi.