S&P Global Market Intelligence presents a rundown of recent board changes in the U.S. technology, media and telecommunications industries.
* In connection with the emergence of 21st Century Fox Inc. and Fox Corp. as stand-alone public companies after they completed a planned share distribution, Fox Corp. announced the appointment of several new directors: former U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan, Aragon Global Holdings CEO Anne Dias, former Fox and DIRECTV executive Chase Carey and Hernandez Media Ventures CEO Roland Hernandez. Previously announced directors include Rupert Murdoch, FOX Chairman and CEO Lachlan Murdoch and Jacques Nasser.
* As part of Stagwell Group LLC's $100 million strategic equity investment in MDC Partners Inc., Stagwell Group founder Mark Penn will join MDC Partners as CEO and a member of its board. Upon closing of the transaction, Penn will continue to oversee investments at Stagwell Media LP fund, according to a March 15 news release. This concludes the strategic review process and CEO search that MDC Partners initiated in September 2018.
* Telephone and Data Systems Inc. nominated Wade Oosterman for election to the board as an independent director at the company's annual shareholders meeting to be held May 23. Oosterman is vice chair and group president of Canada-based BCE Inc. and Bell TV.
* Michael McConnell joined Vonage Holdings Corp. as an independent director. Vonage's board will now comprise nine directors, eight of whom are independent.
* EchoStar Corp. increased the size of its board to nine members from eight and the number of independent members of the board to five from four. To fill the resulting vacancy, the company appointed Jeffrey Tarr as an independent director. Tarr will serve on the audit committee and nominating committee of EchoStar's board.
* Osmium Partners LLC and related entities notified Leaf Group Ltd. of their intention to nominate David Cathcart, Vladimir Jacimovic and Michael McConnell for election to the board as directors at the company's annual stockholder meeting, according to a March 12 SEC filing. The investor group owns about 7.7 % of Leaf Group. Cathcart is CFO of PricessMiner Inc., while Jacimovic is the founder, managing general partner and managing partner at Continuum Capital Partners. McConnell is a private investor.
* John Puerner will retire from A. H. Belo Corp.'s board at the expiration of his current term immediately following the company's 2019 annual meeting of shareholders on May 9. He will not stand for re-election as a director. As a result, the company reduced the size of its board to seven members from eight.