In this Latin America video spotlight, S&P Global Market Intelligence presents a monthly rundown of over-the-top and other video initiatives in Latin American territories.
* Viacom International Media Networks Americas launched streaming platform Paramount+ in Mexico on Aug. 8 through Claro Video, NexTV News Latin America reported Aug. 5. The Viacom International Media Networks Inc. will offer the service for $4 per month. Viacom Inc. owns Viacom International Media Networks.
* Netflix Inc. on Aug. 5 announced the production of its Brazilian original film "Ricos de Amor." The romantic comedy is directed by Bruno Garotti, who also co-wrote the story with Sylvio Gonçalves.
* Mexican operator Megacable Comunicaciones de Mexico SA de CV will bring its first original series production "13 Minutos Antes de Dormir" on its video-on-demand platform Xview, Telecompaper reported Aug. 5. The first three episodes out of the 13 are already made available on the platform, with the new episodes to be added each week.
* Oi SA intends to open its over-the-top platform Oi Play to non-subscribers of the Brazilian operator by the end of 2019, Telecompaper reported Aug. 1, citing retail and digital Director Bernardo Winik's statement to MobileTime.com.br.
* Chilean thriller series "La Cacería" will be available in Latin America through Telefónica SA's Movistar Play and Movistar Series platforms, NexTV News Latin America reported July 31.
* Organizações Globo Participações SA VOD platform Globoplay will air the fourth season of "Sessão de Terapia" on Aug. 30, NexTV News Latin America reported July 24. The original series will have 35 episodes.
* Telefónica plans to premier its first Colombian original series "Ruido Capital" in November on its Movistar Play and Movistar Series for subscribers in Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru and Uruguay Telecompaper reported July 24.
* Guigo TV will be launched in Brazil in August, Telecompaper reported July 22. The new pay TV platform will be accessible through apps on iOS and Android, and through the web.
* SKY Brasil is looking into offering a new live TV programming format online and has begun conducting tests with Brazilian pay TV and free-to-air channels, NexTV News Latin America reported July 19.
* Starz' streaming platform StarzPlay has acquired rights to air EPIX(US)'s "Pennyworth" series in Europe and Latin America, Hollywood Reporter said July 10. The 10-episode series will start in October, NexTV News Latin America reported. Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. owns Starz.
* Globo plans to launch Globoplay in the U.S. in line with the company's expansion, which is anticipated to begin next year in 2020, NexTV News Latin America reported July 9, citing UOL's Ricardo Feltrin. The streaming platform that would be available in the U.S. would offer live streams of the Globo Internacional programming in Brazil.
Links are current as of publication time, and we are not responsible if those links are unavailable later.