* President Donald Trump continued his criticism of the Federal Reserve, calling it the U.S. economy's "only problem" on Twitter.
* Trump's aides are working on convening a private meeting between Trump and Fed Chairman Jerome Powell early in 2019 to help the president get more clarity on Powell's areas of focus, The Wall Street Journal reports.
* While Trump publicly showed faith in Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, an unnamed source close to the White House told CNN that the president is not entirely happy with his top official as the stock market continued to slide.
* During a Christmas Eve call to discuss market stability, federal regulators told Mnuchin that U.S financials markets were functioning normally, Bloomberg News reports.
* Several investors blame computerized trading for the recent turmoil in financial markets as they argue that computer models and passive strategies that dominate overall trading make markets susceptible to sharp movements, the Journal notes.
* Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., will take control of the House Financial Services Committee as the Democratic Caucus voted to make her the head of the committee, the American Banker notes.
The Daily Dose: Express Edition is updated as of 6:30 a.m. ET. Some external links may require a subscription. Links are current as of publication time, and S&P Global Market Intelligence is not responsible if those links are unavailable later.