S&P Global Market Intelligence presents a weekly rundown of recent executive changes at pharmaceutical, biotech, and life sciences companies.
* Shire plc appointed Andreas Busch as executive vice president, head of research and development and chief scientific officer. Howard Mayer, who is serving as interim head of R&D, was appointed chief medical officer. Busch previously served as head of drug discovery of Bayer AG's pharmaceutical division.
* Biogen Inc. appointed Mark Hernon as its chief information officer. Hernon, who most recently served as the global head of research and development site strategy and operations at Takeda Pharmaceuticals, will also become a senior vice president of the company.
* Jazz Pharmaceuticals PLC named Daniel Swisher Jr. as president and COO, replacing executive vice president and COO Russell Cox who is joining Vital Therapies Inc. as CEO and board member. Swisher will join Jazz Pharmaceuticals after he steps down as president and CEO of Sunesis Pharmaceuticals Inc. on Dec. 31.
* Ron Loudoun will lead Verde Science Inc. as president, CEO, CFO, secretary and treasurer of the company. Loudoun's appointment follows Harpreet Sangha's resignation as chairman and CEO of the company.
* Anteo Diagnostics Ltd. appointed Stefan Enderling as its CEO. Enderling previously served as general manager of Australia-based Jackson Care Technologies Pty Ltd.
* Katharine Spink is stepping down as the COO of Asterias Biotherapeutics Inc. on Jan. 19, 2018.
* Synthetic Biologics Inc. said Jeff Riley resigned as CEO and board member for personal reasons. Synthetic's CFO, Steve Shallcross, will take over CEO duties on an interim basis.
* OncoSec Medical Inc. promoted Christopher Twitty to the position of chief scientific officer. Twitty joined OncoSec in 2016 as executive director of clinical science.
* Avita Medical Ltd. appointed Dale Sander as its CFO. Sander replaces Tim Rooney, who will serve as the company's chief administrative officer.
* Cellectis SA appointed Stéphane Depil as senior vice president of research and development and chief medical officer. Depil replaces Mathieu Simon, who was serving as an interim chief medical officer.
* Charlotte Russell will join Alligator Bioscience AB as its chief medical officer on Jan. 1, 2018. Russell is a senior medical director at Genmab A/S.
* Steve Demas resigned as the COO of Helix BioPharma Corp. due to personal reasons.
* Heska Corp. promoted Catherine Grassman to the position of vice president, chief accounting officer, and controller. Grassman's promotion follows the departure of John McMahon as vice president and CFO.
* Eric Dobmeier resigned as COO of Seattle Genetics Inc. to become the CEO of a private biotech company, effective Jan. 1, 2018.
* Nick Riehle is set to retire as the CFO of Athenex Inc. in order to spend more time with his family, effective Dec. 31.
* Horizon Pharma Public Ltd. Co. appointed Shao-Lee Lin chief scientific officer and executive vice president of research and development. Lin previously worked for AbbVie Inc. as a corporate officer and vice president.
* Paul Devlin resigned as the CFO of Tissue Regenix Group plc. The company's board will initiate a process to appoint a successor.
* Faron Pharmaceuticals Oy appointed Juhana Heinonen chief commercial officer, effective January 2018. Heinonen was previously the global marketing director of AstraZeneca PLC's asthma biologic Fasenra.
* Scott Charles is leaving Aralez Pharmaceuticals Inc. as CFO to pursue other opportunities. Michael Kaseta will assume the role of interim CFO along with his current duties as corporate controller, a role he has held since 2016.