trending Market Intelligence /marketintelligence/en/news-insights/trending/ro3anplcceaoqmthn73ktq2 content
Log in to other products

Login to Market Intelligence Platform

 /


Looking for more?

Contact Us

Request a Demo

You're one step closer to unlocking our suite of comprehensive and robust tools.

Fill out the form so we can connect you to the right person.

If your company has a current subscription with S&P Global Market Intelligence, you can register as a new user for access to the platform(s) covered by your license at Market Intelligence platform or S&P Capital IQ.

  • First Name*
  • Last Name*
  • Business Email *
  • Phone *
  • Company Name *
  • City *
  • We generated a verification code for you

  • Enter verification Code here*

* Required

Thank you for your interest in S&P Global Market Intelligence! We noticed you've identified yourself as a student. Through existing partnerships with academic institutions around the globe, it's likely you already have access to our resources. Please contact your professors, library, or administrative staff to receive your student login.

At this time we are unable to offer free trials or product demonstrations directly to students. If you discover that our solutions are not available to you, we encourage you to advocate at your university for a best-in-class learning experience that will help you long after you've completed your degree. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

In This List

Chile's Codelco plans up to US$1B debt issue in 2019 to fund overhaul of mines

Essential Metals & Mining Insights - August 2020

State of the Market: Mining Q2-2020

Report Outlooks of Lithium and Cobalt

Essential Metals & Mining Insights July 2020


Chile's Codelco plans up to US$1B debt issue in 2019 to fund overhaul of mines

Chilean state-miner Codelco is planning an up to US$1 billion debt issue in 2019 to help finance the planned overhaul of its existing mines, Reuters reported, citing Chairman Juan Benavides.

The company's 10-year, US$40 billion investment program is aimed at revamping its aging operations, including the El Teniente and Chuquicamata mines.

"We will issue a maximum of [US]$1 billion of debt in 2019, we don't know where yet. It will be where the best benefits are in terms of cost, flexibility and interest," the executive said, noting that most of the US$40 billion would come from its cash flow.

The company issued US$600 million in a 30-year bond earlier in the year. The Chilean government also plans to inject US$1 billion into Codelco to support the revamp.

Around 60% of the US$40 billion planned investment, or about US$24 billion, will go toward structural projects to extend the life of mines, while the remaining 40% would be spent to improve smelter operations and renewing equipment and machinery.

In August, Codelco announced plans to invest around US$4.88 billion over 74 months to convert the open-cast Chuquicamata mine into an underground operation and to extend mine life by 50 years.

"Chuquicamata is on target, we will see it processing by the middle of next year, July probably. Initially it will produce 275,000 tonnes of copper a year and by 2025 we expect it to produce about 350,000 tonnes," said Benavides.

Out of Codelco's total of 1.73 million tonnes copper output in 2017, Chuquicamata contributed 330,900 tonnes.

Benavides added that the copper miner holds experience and capability to develop open-pit and underground mines around the world.

"We are exploring in Ecuador, Brazil and have an agreement to collaborate with Kazakhstan. Mongolia is something we looked at, but we're not advancing that," he commented on the company's plans.