Local authorities in Indiana said natural gas was the cause of a home explosion in the morning of May 19, which killed one person, injured two others, damaged more than a dozen homes and resulted in 14 additional homes losing gas service, according to local reports.
The blast occurred before 5 a.m. ET in Jeffersonville, Ind., WAVE 3 News reported. Eric Hedrick, chief of the Jeffersonville Fire Department, said the house where the explosion originated was "completely damaged" and more than 12 houses in the area also sustained some damage, the report said.
Officials of gas utility company Vectren Corp., a CenterPoint Energy Inc. subsidiary, confirmed the house that exploded belonged to one of its customers and said it cut off gas service to 14 other houses in the area, according to the report.
The state's pipeline safety director said the probe on the explosion focuses on the piping, which does not belong to Vectren, the report said. The piping inside the house is the owner's responsibility to maintain, according to the director.
A fatality report has been filed with the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration but the National Transportation Safety Board is not part of the investigation, the director said in the report, noting that the board's responsibility ends at the meter.