S&P Global Market Intelligence provides a wrap-up of European media and communications deal announcements, completions and updates from Dec. 16 to Dec. 20.
* European movie theater operator Cineworld Group PLC agreed to acquire its Canadian peer Cineplex Inc. in a deal with a transaction value of C$2.8 billion, including the assumption of net debt. Under the deal, Cineworld will pay C$34 in cash for every Cineplex share, valuing the latter's fully diluted equity at C$2.18 billion. The acquisition will also include Cineplex's two other divisions focused on amusement and leisure, and digital media. The deal's completion is expected in the first half of 2020, subject to regulatory consents and shareholder approvals.
* The European Commission approved Nvidia Corp.'s proposed $6.9 billion acquisition of Mellanox Technologies Ltd. The U.S. chipmaker will acquire its peer Mellanox Technologies through Nvidia International Holdings Inc., according to a regulatory filing. The deal remains subject to approval from the Anti-Monopoly Bureau of China's State Administration for Market Regulation, as well as customary closing conditions.
* PAO Sberbank of Russia and internet company Mail.ru Group Ltd. completed the formation of their food delivery and mobility joint venture.
* Facebook Inc. acquired Spanish cloud gaming company PlayGiga SL, a spokesperson of the social media company confirmed to CNBC. While financial terms of the deal were undisclosed, CNBC cited an earlier report from Spanish business newspaper Cinco Dias to note that the deal price was about €70 million.
* Deutsche Telekom AG acquired a 25% stake in Cologne-based esports company SK Gaming GmbH & Co. KG.
* Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA will become the sole owner of Penguin Random House LLC after agreeing to acquire Pearson PLC's remaining 25% stake in the book publisher for about $675 million.
* Affiliates of private equity firm Hellman & Friedman LLC agreed to buy AutoScout24 GmbH from Scout24 AG, in a deal that values the German car classifieds platform at about €2.9 billion.
* Bruin Sports Capital LLC will acquire London-based data analytics, technology and sports marketing agency Two Circles Ltd. from advertising company WPP PLC.
* Private equity firm H.I.G. Capital LLC offered to acquire a 75% stake in Lagardère Sports, a unit of French media company Lagardère SCA.
* Accenture PLC completed its previously announced acquisition of French consulting company Silveo SAS.
* Japan's Mitsubishi Corp. and Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. are jointly acquiring a 30% ownership stake in Netherlands-based digital mapping company HERE Technologies.
* Rostelecom PJSC shareholders approved the company's planned capital increase to help partially finance the acquisition of Tele2 Russia. The Russian national operator will issue up to 1.2 billion additional ordinary shares at 93.21 Russian rubles per share to VTB Bank PJSC through a private placement. The proceeds will be used to acquire a partial stake in Tele2 Russia under a three-stage, cash-and-share-swap deal.
* 3i Infrastructure PLC agreed to sell its 93% stake in Wireless Infrastructure Group Ltd. to Brookfield Infrastructure Partners LP.
* Infrastrutture Wireless Italiane SpA shareholders approved the proposed transaction to incorporate Vodafone Towers Srl into the company. The transaction was supported by 99.9% of minority shareholders.
* Divitias Bidco Ltd., an indirect unit of funds managed by Mayfair Equity Partners LLP and its affiliates, agreed to acquire Nasstar PLC for 12.88 pence in cash. The deal values Nasstar's entire share capital at about £79.4 million.
* Vodafone Group PLC, through its indirect unit Vodafone Europe BV, agreed to sell the whole of Vodafone Malta Ltd. to Monaco Telecom SAM for an enterprise value of €250 million.
* CGI Group Holdings Europe Ltd., a wholly owned indirect subsidiary of CGI Group Inc., completed its acquisition of SCISYS Group PLC for £75.8 million.
* U.S. cloud services company Net2Phone Inc. acquired Spain-headquartered business communications company Ringsouth Europa SL.
* France-headquartered company Atos SE agreed to acquire U.S. technology consulting company Maven Wave Partners LLC.
* Liberty Global PLC ended discussions over a merger of its UPC Schweiz unit with Swiss cable operator Sunrise Communications Group AG. Majority of Sunrise's investors opposed the deal's terms.
* British Telecom agreed to sell its Spanish managed ICT business to funds managed by private equity firm Portobello Capital Gestión SGEIC SA. The acquisition includes domestic network infrastructure assets.
Links are current as of publication time; we are not responsible if those links are unavailable later.