S&P Global Market Intelligence provides a wrap-up of European media and communications deal announcements, completions and updates from Jan. 6 to Jan. 10.
* Insight Venture Management LLC, or Insight Partners, agreed to purchase Switzerland-based cloud data management company Veeam Software Group GmbH in a deal valued at roughly $5 billion. The transaction, set to be completed in the first quarter of 2020, will result in Veeam becoming a U.S. company with a U.S.-based leadership team. It will also allow the business to evolve into hybrid cloud, enter new markets and advance its growth.
* Accenture PLC agreed to buy Symantec's cybersecurity services business from Broadcom Inc. The deal is expected to help Accenture Security provide services for global businesses to detect and manage cyber threats. The transaction is expected to be completed in March 2020, subject to customary closing conditions.
* Ireland's Competition and Consumer Protection Commission nullified Daily Mail and General Trust PLC's acquisition of JPIMedia Ltd. unit JPIMedia Publications Ltd. The antitrust watchdog said the transaction took effect Nov. 29, 2019, without securing clearance as required under Irish competition law. The regulator's decision could delay the transaction, Dublin's The Irish Times reported Jan. 11.
* U.K.-based independent marketing and media consultancy Ebiquity PLC completed the acquisition of Dutch digital media monitoring and optimization service Digital Decisions BV. Ebiquity acquired Digital Decisions' shares from Cosimo Capital BV and Stichting Administratiekantoor Pinnacle Invest, both firms owned and controlled by Digital Decisions founder and CEO Ruben Schreurs, for an initial consideration of €783,000, according to S&P Global Market Intelligence data. Digital Decisions will continue operating as an individual service proposition, according to a Jan. 8 company release.
* STV Productions Ltd. acquired a 25% stake in drama producer Two Cities Television. The television production arm of Scottish broadcaster STV Group PLC will be able to boost its stake in Two Cities to a majority interest over the next three years. British Broadcasting Corp. unit BBC Studios Ltd. is exiting Two Cities as part of the deal.
* John Wiley & Sons Inc. acquired MThree Corporate Consulting Ltd., which provides education services that address the IT skills gap, from ECI Partners LLP. Under terms of the agreement, MThree shareholders received about $129 million in cash at closing Jan. 1, according to an SEC filing.
* The U.K. Competition Appeal Tribunal partially upheld a regulatory decision against Tobii AB's acquisition of tech company Smartbox Assistive Technology Ltd. and its related entity Sensory Software International Ltd. The Competition and Markets Authority found in August that the merger may substantially lessen competition in the market for assistive technology software. The regulator further ordered Tobii to sell Smartbox. Tobii had urged the tribunal to reverse the CMA's decision as it was not supported by reliable and sufficient evidence, among other reasons. The appeal tribunal largely rejected Tobii's appeal. The tribunal, however, agreed with Tobii that the CMA did not provide sufficient evidence that the merger would increase the wholesale price and limit the hardware compatibility of its communication software Grid.
* Spanish technology and consulting company Indra Sistemas SA acquired cybersecurity services provider Sistemas Informáticos Abiertos SA. The transaction will create a company with more than 1,000 professionals and cybersecurity specialists.
* A company backed by funds managed by Permira Advisers Ltd. and co-investors agreed to purchase a majority stake in Lytx Inc. Lytx provides video telematics, analytics, safety and productivity solutions for commercial, public sector and field service fleets.
* Accenture agreed to acquire maihiro GmbH, a Munich-based provider of SAP-based customer experience, customer relationship management and commerce services. The transaction is expected to close in early 2020, subject to customary closing conditions.
Links are current as of publication time; we are not responsible if those links are unavailable later.