S&P Global Market Intelligence presents In Play Today, a periodic summary of potential deal activity in the financial sectors of Europe, the Middle East and Africa. This summary, which is displayed according to the location of a target's headquarters, is based on information obtained by S&P Global Market Intelligence and may not be inclusive of all potential deal activity.
* Germany's LBS Westdeutsche Landesbausparkasse is nearing a merger with LBS Bausparkasse Schleswig-Holstein-Hamburg AG as the two building societies have signed a memorandum of understanding on a potential transaction.
* Numis Corp. PLC founder Oliver Hemsley is one of a number of bidders considering injecting funds into NEX Group PLC's NEX Exchange Ltd. He is in advanced talks to make a capital investment into the exchange.
* Standard Chartered PLC is starting a sale process of unit Standard Chartered Private Equity Ltd. The bank has sent so-called teaser documents on the unit to attract interest from potential suitors, which included other buyout firms in Asia. It remains possible that the management of the unit, in partnership with other companies, could still buy the unit's assets, Reuters reported.
* Vnesheconombank intends to merge Globex Commercial Bank JSC and Interregional Bank for Settlements of the Telecommunications & Postal Services, or Sviaz-Bank, but abandoned plans to sell the units in the near future.
* China's Fosun International Ltd. is still willing to bid for National Bank of Greece SA's insurance unit, but at a different price after losing out to U.S.-based Calamos Investments LLC and Netherlands-based EXIN Financial Services in initial bidding. The deal has been thrown into doubt.
* SIX Group AG will off-load a majority stake in its SIX Payment Services unit by the end of the second quarter or the start of the third quarter. The Swiss stock exchange operator was reported in September 2017 to be weighing a sale of the card payments unit, said to be worth CHF2 billion.
* Polish postal operator Poczta Polska, which holds a 75% majority stake in Bank Pocztowy SA, plans to off-load its shares in the lender. The postal operator is reportedly canvassing the market and already sent out some offers to potential investors, approaching PKO Bank Polski SA, which already has a 25% in Pocztowy, as well as Bank Pekao SA.
* Liberbank SA presented a preliminary offer to acquire Banco Caixa Geral SA, the Spanish unit of Portugal-based Caixa Geral de Depósitos SA.
* U.S.-based CME Group Inc. confirmed that it is in talks with NEX Group for a potential deal, and said it has until April 12 to make a firm offer for NEX, although the deadline can be extended.
* The Russian central bank allowed Bonum Capital, a fund affiliated with Russian businessman Suleiman Kerimov, to acquire a 52.7% stake in Vozrozhdenie Bank.
* French lender BNP Paribas SA is said to be in the final stages of discussions to acquire Raiffeisen Bank International AG's Polish unit, Raiffeisen Bank Polska SA.
* Belarus-based OJSC Paritetbank is now the only contender for the acquisition of PAO Sberbank of Russia unit PJSC Sberbank after Ukrainian businessman Valery Khoroshkovsky withdrew from the race.
Rest of the world
* Emirates NBD Bank PJSC could strike a deal to acquire PAO Sberbank of Russia's Turkish unit DenizBank AS within weeks.
* Nigeria-based Unity Bank Plc is in talks with potential investors regarding a capital injection but has not finalized any deal. A Bloomberg News report of March 19 suggested that U.S. private equity firm Milost Global Inc. plans to invest up to $1 billion in the bank.