trending Market Intelligence /marketintelligence/en/news-insights/trending/kwyqb88xysmuzjsj94t4bq2 content
Log in to other products

Login to Market Intelligence Platform


Looking for more?

Contact Us

Request a Demo

You're one step closer to unlocking our suite of comprehensive and robust tools.

Fill out the form so we can connect you to the right person.

If your company has a current subscription with S&P Global Market Intelligence, you can register as a new user for access to the platform(s) covered by your license at Market Intelligence platform or S&P Capital IQ.

  • First Name*
  • Last Name*
  • Business Email *
  • Phone *
  • Company Name *
  • City *
  • We generated a verification code for you

  • Enter verification Code here*

* Required

Thank you for your interest in S&P Global Market Intelligence! We noticed you've identified yourself as a student. Through existing partnerships with academic institutions around the globe, it's likely you already have access to our resources. Please contact your professors, library, or administrative staff to receive your student login.

At this time we are unable to offer free trials or product demonstrations directly to students. If you discover that our solutions are not available to you, we encourage you to advocate at your university for a best-in-class learning experience that will help you long after you've completed your degree. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

In This List

Voyageur, Innovation Metals sign barite production JV

Greenhouse gas and gold mines Nearly 1 ton of CO2 emitted per ounce of gold produced in 2019

Essential Metals & Mining Insights - September 2020

Essential Metals & Mining Insights - August 2020

State of the Market: Mining Q2-2020

Voyageur, Innovation Metals sign barite production JV

Voyageur Minerals Ltd. said March 20 that it inked a nonbinding memorandum of understanding with Innovation Metals Corp. to access the latter's proprietary processing technology for the production of high-purity barium sulfate, or barite.

Innovation Metals is a private Ontario-based firm that develops cost-effective separation and purification processes for the critical-materials industry.

The technology will allow Voyageur to produce consistent high-grade barite suitable for multiple industrial grades, including the pharmaceutical and industrial markets.

In February, the U.S. Department of the Interior published a draft list of critical minerals in the Federal Register, which identified barite as one of the minerals.

The MOU calls for the formation of a joint venture, with Voyageur holding a 75% stake and Innovation Metals owning the remaining 25%. After achieving mutually agreed minimum production rates, Voyageur will have the right to buy out its partner's interest.

If Voyageur acquires the 25% interest, Innovation Metals will retain a 1% net profit royalty. Voyageur will have the right to purchase the royalty for C$1 million for up to five years after commercial-scale production begins.

The company will build a commercial-scale demonstration plant capable of producing 2,000 tonnes per annum of high-purity barite, on completion of pilot-scale testing. After the demonstration plant is completed and tested, Voyageur plans to increase output to between 6,000 and 10,000 t/a.

Voyageur intends to use cash flow from operations to fund the continued exploration of its barite deposits in British Columbia and to develop its two lithium projects in Utah.

The company is in discussions with several pharmaceutical and high-end barite industry players and will seek to secure potential off-take deals.