S&P Global Market Intelligence presents In Play Today, a periodic summary of potential deal activity in the financial sectors of Europe, the Middle East and Africa. This summary, which is displayed according to the location of a target's headquarters, is based on information obtained by S&P Global Market Intelligence and may not be inclusive of all potential deal activity.
* Switzerland-based Julius Bär Gruppe AG is interested in a potential acquisition of EFG International AG, in a move that could be part of the acquiring company's new strategy under CEO Philipp Rickenbacher.
* The asset management unit of UBS Group AG is said to be weighing plans to sell its fund platform. If it pushes through with a sale, UBS Fondcenter could fetch at least CHF500 million.
* Turkey's General Directorate of Foundations is transferring control of its 58.5% stake in Türkiye Vakıflar Bankası TAO to the country's treasury. The stake is valued at roughly 13.9 billion lira.
* Dutch insurer NN Group NV, Belgium-based Ageas SA/NV, Switzerland's Helvetia Holding AG and Spain's Santa Lucía SA are competing to take control of Caser Seguros in an auction that values the bancassurance player at up to €1.2 billion. Investors SGAM Covéa, Bankia SA, CaixaBank SA and ABANCA Holding Financiero SA plan to sell their respective stakes. Banco de Sabadell SA and Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria SA may also off-load their stakes. Liberbank SA, Unicaja Banco SA and Ibercaja are planning to cut their stake to less than 10% each.
* U.S. private equity firms Madison Dearborn Partners LLC and HPS Investment Partners LLC entered into a deal to acquire Dublin-based general insurance broker Arachas Corporate Brokers Ltd.
* U.S.-based Cboe Global Markets Inc. is considering a possible takeover of equities clearing house European Central Counterparty NV Discussions between the two companies have reportedly been underway for months.
* Deutsche Bank AG sold securities with a notional value of roughly £40 billion to U.S.-based Goldman Sachs Group Inc. The assets sold were held at the bank's internal bad bank and related to emerging market debt.
* NN Investment Partners, the asset manager owned by Dutch insurer NN Group, bought a majority stake in mortgage lender Venn Hypotheken BV from Venn Partners LLP. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.
* H.W. Kaufman will acquire managing general agent Barbican Protect. Barbican Protect is the U.K.-based property and casualty arm of Barbican Group Holdings Ltd. The company will be rebranded to become part of H.W. Kaufman's Burns & Wilcox broking platform. The target will continue to be led by Managing Director Stuart Kilpatrick following the acquisition. The deal is expected to close in January 2020, subject to regulatory approvals.
* Commercial International Bank (Egypt) SAE is seeking to acquire part of Kenya-based Mayfair Bank Ltd. The Competition Authority of Kenya said it is analyzing CIB's application.