S&P Global Market Intelligence presents a weekly rundown of recent executive changes at pharmaceutical, biotech and life sciences companies with a market capitalization of at least $1 billion at the time of writing.
* AstraZeneca PLC appointed Jose Baselga head of research and development for oncology as the company restructures its R&D and commercial operations into two distinct units. Additionally, the U.K.-based pharmaceutical giant tapped Mene Pangalos to lead the biopharmaceuticals side of its R&D business.
* Ironwood Pharmaceuticals Inc. named Mark Mallon to be CEO of Ironwood and Peter Hecht to be CEO of its spinoff company Cyclerion Therapeutics Inc. Ironwood also appointed Michael Shetzline chief medical officer, senior vice president and head of drug development, effective Jan. 28.
* Emergent BioSolutions Inc. said Daniel Abdun-Nabi will retire as CEO and director of the company. Beginning April 1, Robert Kramer, Emergent's current president and COO, will assume the president and CEO roles as well as Abdun-Nabi's board seat.
* Atara Biotherapeutics Inc. President and CEO Isaac Ciechanover is stepping down from his roles in the South San Francisco, Calif.-based developer of cancer treatments. Ciechanover will stay with the company until June 30 or until his replacement has been appointed.
* Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc. said Christine Tsingos is retiring as the company's CFO and executive vice president, effective April 30.
* Retrophin Inc. named Eric Dube as president and CEO, replacing Stephen Aselage, who announced his retirement in July 2018.
Editor's note: we will not be running the H&F Feature on Jan. 17, 2019.