trending Market Intelligence /marketintelligence/en/news-insights/trending/ilNK5q1EgRCZyZ2wNNhxpw2 content
Log in to other products

Login to Market Intelligence Platform

 /


Looking for more?

Contact Us

Request a Demo

You're one step closer to unlocking our suite of comprehensive and robust tools.

Fill out the form so we can connect you to the right person.

If your company has a current subscription with S&P Global Market Intelligence, you can register as a new user for access to the platform(s) covered by your license at Market Intelligence platform or S&P Capital IQ.

  • First Name*
  • Last Name*
  • Business Email *
  • Phone *
  • Company Name *
  • City *
  • We generated a verification code for you

  • Enter verification Code here*

* Required

Thank you for your interest in S&P Global Market Intelligence! We noticed you've identified yourself as a student. Through existing partnerships with academic institutions around the globe, it's likely you already have access to our resources. Please contact your professors, library, or administrative staff to receive your student login.

At this time we are unable to offer free trials or product demonstrations directly to students. If you discover that our solutions are not available to you, we encourage you to advocate at your university for a best-in-class learning experience that will help you long after you've completed your degree. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

In This List

GCM Resources, PowerChina ink 2nd coal-fired power plant JV deal at Phulbari

Greenhouse gas and gold mines Nearly 1 ton of CO2 emitted per ounce of gold produced in 2019

Essential Metals & Mining Insights - September 2020

Essential Metals & Mining Insights - August 2020

State of the Market: Mining Q2-2020


GCM Resources, PowerChina ink 2nd coal-fired power plant JV deal at Phulbari

GCM Resources PLC entered into a second joint venture agreement with Power Construction Corp. of China Ltd., or PowerChina, for another power plant project at its proposed Phulbari coal mine in northwestern Bangladesh.

The terms of the second agreement are identical to the first one signed in January, under which GCM Resources will act as lead as part of a new joint venture company owning the operation.

Both PowerChina deals are in line with a November 2018 memorandum of understanding on the Phulbari development and power plants generating up to 4,000 MW.

GCM Resources said March 15 that the additional power plant project is proposed as part of a broader strategy to generate 6,000 MW of electricity for the Bangladesh market using domestic coal, with the company targeting about US$14.5 billion in foreign investment.

The second PowerChina project comprises two 1,000-MW, coal-fired power plants, with GCM Resources entitled to an 80% interest and PowerChina holding the remaining 20%. The deal has a term of 12 months and is subject to a definitive agreement.

GCM Resources will be responsible for obtaining approvals, while PowerChina will conduct a feasibility study and work to incorporate the project into the One Belt, One Road Initiative in China. Both parties will work on obtaining financing.