The earnings rush continues through the week of Jan. 23 through Jan. 27, with several large and midsize U.S. banks and thrifts expected to release quarterly results. Below are some of the highlights:
* Zions Bancorp. is the biggest bank expected to report fourth-quarter 2016 results Monday, Jan. 23, after markets close. The Salt Lake City, Utah-based company earned 43 cents per share in the fourth quarter of 2015, and the S&P Capital IQ consensus estimate for normalized EPS for the fourth quarter of 2016 is 52 cents.
* Fifth Third Bancorp and Popular Inc. are on deck to report earnings before markets open Tuesday, Jan. 24.
Fifth Third earned 79 cents per share in the last quarter of 2015, and the consensus EPS estimate for the Cincinnati-based company's 2016 fourth quarter is 44 cents per share. The company disclosed in November 2016 that it expects to record a pretax gain of around $9 million, or $6 million after taxes, in the fourth quarter of 2016 related to the sale of the 5.65 million Vantiv Inc. shares it holds.
For Hato Rey, Puerto Rico-based Popular, the consensus EPS estimate for the 2016 third quarter is 87 cents, lower than the $1.32 the company earned in the 2015 fourth quarter. The company expects to record a pretax charge of approximately $115 million for the quarter ended Dec. 31, 2016, after an arbitration board denied another of Banco Popular de Puerto Rico's requests for damages regarding a commercial loss-share agreement with the FDIC.
* Capital One Financial Corp., which earned $1.58 per share in the 2015 fourth quarter, is expected to announce fourth-quarter 2016 results after markets close Tuesday. The consensus EPS estimate for the McLean, Va.-based company's 2016 fourth quarter is $1.59. Chairman and CEO Richard Fairbank said during the company's third-quarter earnings conference call that in terms of full-year 2016 efficiency ratio, the company is poised to deliver a result that is "substantially lower than full-year 2015" as a result of enhanced revenues and efforts to drive out "analog" costs.
* State Street Corp., Huntington Bancshares Inc., New York Community Bancorp Inc. and BOK Financial Corp. are among a handful of big banks expected to announce quarterly results before markets open Wednesday, Jan. 25. In addition, First Citizens BancShares Inc. is slated to report quarterly results during market hours Wednesday, and East West Bancorp Inc. is expected to report after market hours.
BOK Financial reported EPS of 89 cents in the 2015 fourth quarter, lower than analysts' 2016 fourth-quarter consensus EPS estimate of $1.03. In December 2016, the Tulsa, Okla.-based company disclosed that it expects a decrease of around $17.4 million in its fourth-quarter pretax net income due to a change in the fair value of its mortgage servicing rights.
For East West Bancorp, the consensus EPS estimate for the 2016 fourth quarter is 71 cents. The Pasadena, Calif.-based company earned 63 cents per share in the 2015 fourth quarter. In its earnings release for the third quarter of 2016, the company disclosed that EPS for the fourth quarter of 2016 is expected to range from 70 cents to 72 cents, resulting in 2016 EPS ranging from $2.91 to $2.93.
* On Thursday, Jan. 26, SVB Financial Group is set to report quarterly results after markets close. The Santa Clara, Calif.-based company reported fourth-quarter 2015 EPS of $1.68, and consensus EPS estimate for the fourth quarter of 2016 is $1.79.