* Cigna recorded fourth-quarter shareholders' net income of $1.47 per share, down from the year-ago period's $1.64. Adjusted income, which included a 46-cent-per-share hit from an allowance against risk corridor program receivables and costs related to Anthem's acquisition of Cigna, was calculated at $1.87 per share.
* Also reporting earnings early today: Marsh & McLennan Cos., CME Group and Lazard.
* Markel is acquiring SureTec Financial for approximately $250 million and operating the latter as a separate business unit.
* Hamilton Lane Inc., the holding company of Hamilton Lane Advisors, has filed for an IPO. It plans to list on the Nasdaq stock market under the ticker symbol HLNE.
* SkyBridge Capital II's Anthony Scaramucci will not serve as President Donald Trump's liaison to the business community after all, says a source for The New York Times. The offer was said to have been privately withdrawn because of SkyBridge's pending sale and the length of time it would take to clear Scaramucci of potential ethics conflicts.
* Wells Fargo has received another letter from lawmakers — this time from six Democrat senators questioning the advanced notice given to branch employees when internal compliance officers had scheduled a visit.
* A proposal for Seattle to cut business ties with Wells Fargo will be considered by the full city council on Feb. 6, The Washington Times reports. The measure is in reaction mainly to the bank's funding of the Dakota Access Pipeline.
* To settle disputes by Lehman Brothers' post-bankruptcy estate, JPMorgan Chase will pay $797.5 million, The Wall Street Journal reports. In exchange, the estate is dropping its objection to JPMorgan's claim for $30 billion in supposedly unpaid debt.
* In Maryland, Old Line Bancshares will buy DCB Bancshares for $40.7 million in stock.
* In Minnesota, Employees First Credit Union has merged into Ideal Credit Union.
* And Chubb named Sean Ringsted to the newly created position of chief digital officer. Ringsted retains his current title of chief risk officer.
The Daily Dose: Express Edition is updated as of 6:30 a.m. ET. Some external links may require a subscription.