One of the two people that were inside a house destroyed Oct. 14 by a gas explosion in Columbia Gas of Virginia Inc.'s service territory died late Oct. 15, according to WVEC-TV, a local ABC-affiliated station.
The two people were among the nine injured by the explosion and fire. The Chesapeake Fire Department had determined the explosion and fire were natural gas-related but continue to investigate.
Columbia Gas of Virginia, a NiSource Inc. regulated utility, is the third-largest natural gas utility in the state, serving over 262,000 customers. Another NiSource utility was involved in a series of explosions and fires in September that hit communities near Boston. That deadly accident was caused by overpressurization in a gas system operated by Columbia Gas of Massachusetts.