Gas flows to LNG plants soared into 2020 at 9% of US daily production
Feedgas volumes on Dec. 31, 2019, set a new record high and amounted to more than 9% of the dry natural gas the U.S. produces on an average day. Flows over December 2019 averaged nearly 7.8 Bcf/d, according to pipeline flow data from S&P Global Market Intelligence.
OPEC hikes oil demand growth outlook for 2020, lowers forecast for 2019
OPEC expects world oil demand growth to climb to 1.22 million barrels per day in 2020, an increase of 140,000 bbl/d from its December 2019 assessment, according to its latest monthly report released Jan. 15. The organization also lowered its global oil demand growth forecast for 2019 in advance of the year's numbers being finalized.
Pioneered in US, 'virtual' renewable power deals start to make inroads in Europe
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA, maker of Budweiser and Stella Artois beers, will purchase 250 GWh of electricity per year under a 10-year agreement with Germany's BayWa r.e. renewable energy GmbH in what has been described as one of the first "virtual" renewable power contracts in Europe.
Other energy headlines
* A proposal in the Georgia General Assembly would set more stringent requirements for cleaning up coal ash that could exert greater pressure on Georgia Power Co. and the state to aggressively tackle ash disposal.
* The Trump administration is one step closer to finalizing proposed fuel economy standards for cars and light-duty trucks, now that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have started a formal interagency review of part two of the final Safer Affordable Fuel Efficient Vehicles rule.
Total daily natural gas flows to the six operational U.S. LNG export facilities topped 8.5 Bcf on the final day of December 2019.
Research and data
* RRA Regulatory Focus: Md. PSC to use slightly above average ROEs for Baltimore Gas & Electric
* RRA Regulatory Focus: Focus on FERC — Stakeholders slam controversial ROE order in rehearing requests
* RRA Regulatory Focus: Mountaineer Gas completes 1st rate case in 4 years, implements rate hike
Top pick of the day
US power generators set for another big year in coal plant closures in 2020
This extra edition of the Daily Dose has an editorial deadline of 1:30 p.m. ET. Some external links may require a subscription. Links are current as of publication time, and we are not responsible if those links are unavailable later.