Canadian explorer Copper One Inc. plans to fight a decision by the Quebec Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources to suspend the company's claims at the Riviere Dore project.
The company on Jan. 27 said the ministerial decision appears to be in response to a press conference held by anti-mining group Algonquins of Barriere Lake.
"Copper One has remedies under the law should it be impeded from conducting exploration activities at the Riviere Dore project and the company intends to pursue such remedies," President and CEO Scott Moore said.
Copper One said that after it received the notification of suspension it requested a meeting with the Quebec Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources, but was told Minister Pierre Arcand would not meet with the company.
The Quebec government completed a legally mandated consultation period with Algonquins of Barriere Lake in late 2016, and Copper One agreed to an extension of the talks.
However, Moore said that following the five-week consultation period, Algonquins of Barriere Lake's response has been to reiterate its "no mining stance," and the group has failed to engage in discussions with the Quebec government regarding potential exploration activities at the Riviere Dore project.
The claims were suspended previously in July 2011, but the Quebec government lifted the suspension in June 2016.
Copper One has been given 15 days to comment on the facts used to support the Ministry's decision to suspend the claims.