SQM aims to expand lithium production capacity with US$400M investment
Sociedad Quimica y Minera de Chile SA CEO Ricardo Ramos said the company expects to triple its lithium sales to 150,000 tonnes per year by 2025. The company aims to increase its lithium production capacity in Chile to 180,000 t/y, with an increase to 120,000 t/y from the current 70,000 t/y capacity anticipated by the end of 2020. Capital expenditure associated with the expansion is estimated at around US$400 million, or US$4,000/t.
B2Gold sinks to Q4'18 loss; FY'18 profit drops on impairment charges
B2Gold Corp. swung to an attributable net loss of US$58.9 million, or 6 cents per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2018, from a profit of US$29.9 million, or 4 cents per diluted share, in the year-ago period. Full-year 2018 attributable net profit slumped to US$28.9 million, or 2 cents per diluted share, from US$56.9 million, or 6 cents per diluted share. The TSX-listed miner's results during the year were affected by a US$55 million net impairment charge at the La Libertad gold mine, due to political instability in Nicaragua, and the sale of the Mocoa copper-molybdenum deposit in the second quarter of 2018.
Zijin completes compulsory acquisition of remaining Nevsun shares
Zijin Mining Group Co. Ltd. completed the compulsory acquisition of the remaining outstanding Nevsun Resources Ltd. shares it did not own, part of Zijin's C$6.00-per-share all-cash takeover bid. The Chinese miner acquired a total of 23,184,095 Nevsun shares, representing 7.5% of the latter, at the offer price of C$6.00 per share, to close the C$1.86 billion acquisition.
* Altius Minerals Corp. booked a royalty revenue of C$17.6 million for the quarter that ended Dec. 31, 2018, compared to C$17.1 million in the prior quarter. The company's 2019 royalty revenue is expected to range from C$67 million to C$72 million.
* Having been on "care and maintenance" since 2015, TSX-Venture listed junior Altan Nevada Minerals Ltd. has relaunched itself with a restructure and debt-for-equity swap underway and a new focus on its long-dormant Venus copper property in Nevada. At the close of the debt-for-shares conversion, the junior will be worth around C$3 million, with just over C$1 million in the bank, Corporate Director Paul Stephen told S&P Global Market Intelligence at the sidelines of the Battery Minerals Conference in Perth, Western Australia.
* Great Boulder Resources Ltd. executed an option to earn up to a 75% stake in Ausgold Ltd.'s Winchester copper project in Western Australia.
* Red Mountain Mining Ltd. secured an option to acquire a 70% interest in Crane Copper Mining, which holds a right to develop and process minerals from the smelter slag in place at the Jinja copper project in Uganda.
* Aus Tin Mining Ltd. terminated a services contract with Jemrok Pty. Ltd. covering its Granville tin project in Tasmania, Australia, after the appointment of liquidators to Jemrok. The company is also preparing for the start of owner mining at the Granville East mine.
* Italy-based semifinished copper-products firm KME moved to consolidate its ownership of French copper tube and rod manufacturer Tréfimetaux SAS in a €2 million deal, Fastmarkets MB reported.
* Acacia Coal Ltd. has been granted the 44-square-kilometer Mount Bruce copper-cobalt exploration license in Western Australia.
* The AOMA union is undertaking an illegal work stoppage at Goldcorp Inc.'s Cerro Negro gold-silver mine in Argentina, but the cause remains unclear. Processing was discontinued due to depleted surface stockpiles after mining stopped March 8.
* PJSC Polyus gained a further 5% interest in the Sukhoi Log gold deposit in Russia from its project partner Rostec Corp., in exchange for a 0.28% stake, Reuters reported. Polyus' interest in the deposit has increased to 63.4% as a result.
* Doray Minerals Ltd.'s largest shareholder, Perennial Value Management with an about 12.9% stake, confirmed its intention to vote in favor of the company's merger with Silver Lake Resources Ltd., subject to no superior proposal.
* Metminco Ltd. signed a nonbinding indicative offer to acquire the issued share capital of Colombia-focused Andes Resources Ltd., for 33.5 new Metminco shares for every Andes share.
* SSR Mining Inc. is offering US$200 million of unsecured convertible senior notes due 2039. The company plans to grant the initial purchasers an option to purchase up to an additional US$30 million of the notes.
* Seabridge Gold Inc. said it will likely prioritize developing the Iron Cap deposit at its KSM project in British Columbia after an updated estimate increased the deposit's gold-copper resources.
* Buccaneer Gold Corp. terminated its letter of intent to merge with a U.S.-based cannabis company and intends to apply to list its shares on the Canadian Securities Exchange while continuing as a mining exploration company.
* Altus Strategies PLC granted Indiana Resources Ltd. a 30-day extension to complete due diligence over its Lakanfla and Tabakorole gold projects in Mali, which are part of an option deal signed in February.
* ArcelorMittal South Africa Ltd. introduced contingency measures at its various plants to minimize the potential impact on production after the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa, or Numsa, declared a strike against the company's ongoing use of labor brokers, Mining Weekly reported. "Our key demand is that AMSA must permanently employ all workers presently employed by the contractors who render their services to [ArcelorMittal South Africa]," the union added.
* Duke Energy Corp. is pushing back on a report that shows widespread groundwater pollution at the nation's coal ash storage facilities. The report, based on public filings compiled by the Environmental Integrity Project and Earthjustice, documented groundwater pollution at 91% of coal-fired power plants using data made available under a 2015 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency rule.
* Giyani Metals Corp. decreased its stake in Canoe Mining Ventures Corp. to about 9.9% by selling 9,580,000 Canoe Mining shares for a total of C$538,200.
* Mayur Resources Ltd. signed a binding offtake deal with Qingdao Shinebest to supply 200,000 tonnes per annum of vanadium titano-magnetite sands produced from the Orokolo Bay project in Papua New Guinea for two years.
* The U.S. Energy Information Administration expects coal exports will slide this year and next after providing welcome relief for U.S. producers in 2018, while projecting that domestic production will also decline.
* Colorado saw a 4% growth in coal jobs in 2018 to reach 1,304 after years of losses, Colorado Public Radio reported. In 2017, coal mine employment in the state totaled 1,252.
* U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said the government was working on a plan to remove steel and aluminum tariffs over Mexican and Canadian products while retaining the overall gains of the tariffs, Reuters reported.
* An International Energy Agency expert has told the Battery Minerals Conference in Perth, Western Australia, that electric cars will reach price parity with internal combustion engine cars in five years, but limited driving range, charge infrastructure and high purchase costs remain as barriers.
* Gem Diamonds Ltd. recovered 126,875 carats from its 70%-owned Letseng mine in Lesotho in 2018, up from 111,811 carats recovered a year earlier. Average value per carat increased to US$2,131 per carat, from US$1,930 per carat in 2017.
* Strike Resources Ltd. entered into an agreement to acquire a 90% interest in the 12,000-hectare Solaroz lithium brine project in Argentina.
* Altura Mining Ltd. achieved commercial production at its namesake lithium mine at Pilgangoora in Western Australia's Pilbara region after completing the commissioning of stage-one operations.
* Cia Brasileira de Metalurgia e Mineracao plans to increase production at its Araxá niobium mine in Minas Gerais state to 100,000 tonnes this year from 90,000 tonnes currently, Valor Economico reported.
* Birimian Ltd. is targeting the completion of a definitive feasibility study for its Goulamina lithium project in Mali by the first quarter of 2020, ahead of a final investment decision for the operation by the second half of 2020.
* Lithium-boron supplier ioneer Ltd. tapped Kemetco to build and operate the metallurgical test work pilot plant for the Rhyolite Ridge lithium-boron project in Nevada.
* New emissions standards enacted by Western Australia's Environmental Protection Agency may open up potential legal issues against mining operations, which may lead to court disputes holding up the development of Adani Enterprises Ltd.'s Carmichael coal mine in Queensland, Australia, The West Australian reported.
* U.K. lawmakers rejected Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit deal with the European Union in a 391-242 vote, paving the way for votes on a no-deal Brexit and potentially on a delayed departure from the bloc.
The Daily Dose has an editorial deadline of 7 a.m. London time. Some external links may require a subscription. Links are current as of publication time, and we are not responsible if those links are unavailable later.