Chess pieces set for endgame in 'extraordinary' PG&E bankruptcy battle
Pressure has been building for months while Pacific Gas and Electric Co. and its holding company PG&E Corp. race against the clock ticking toward the state's June 30, 2020, deadline to emerge from bankruptcy protection as a recapitalized, reformed and rehabilitated provider of power and natural gas.
US-Iran tensions take their toll on oil, gas markets
The effects of tensions between the U.S. and Iran have reached shale oil and gas producers as prices and stocks react to the fast-paced developments that began with the killing of a top Iranian military commander.
Analysts hang hope on further Suriname drilling after Apache price spike
After a tough second half of 2019, Apache Corp. begins 2020 with a new partnership, refreshed vigor in its share price and reborn optimism for exploration success in Suriname.
Other energy headlines
* More than one-third of all land mined for coal in the western U.S. remains unreclaimed after nearly 50 years of mining, according to a new report by conservation organizations.
* With oil and gas midstream project spending set to begin declining in 2020, the sector's companies need to carefully prioritize how they use their excess cash, analysts said.
* The Oak Grove coking coal mine in Alabama has been idled, and no information on a restart is available, market sources said.
* Hydro-Québec agreed to extend a power-supply agreement with neighboring New Brunswick's electricity utility. It also agreed to help NB Power refurbish a hydroelectric station to extend its life.
Pennsylvania's shale gas drillers pulled nearly one-third fewer drilling permits in December 2019 compared to the same month in the year prior as activity shifted from the dry gas northeast counties of the state to the liquids-rich wet gas counties around Pittsburgh in the southwest.
Research and data
* RRA Regulatory Focus: Preliminary 2019 results: Energy authorized ROEs up despite interest rate dip
* RRA Regulatory Focus: CenterPoint says parties close to final settlement in Texas rate case
* Data Dispatch: Oil, gas tracker: Q4'19 saw focus on asset-level M&A
Top pick of the day
In Utah, real-estate mogul bets on virtual power plants
This extra edition of the Daily Dose has an editorial deadline of 1:30 p.m. ET. Some external links may require a subscription. Links are current as of publication time, and we are not responsible if those links are unavailable later.