S&P Global Market Intelligence presents an overview of board changes at European financial institutions. The changes are listed by announcement date in reverse chronological order.
* Achmea BV appointed Jan van den Berg a member of the supervisory board, subject to the approval of the Dutch central bank. Van den Berg succeeds Erik van de Merwe.
* Aegon NV's supervisory board member Dirk Verbeek will step down at the May 18 annual general meeting. The board is in the process of selecting new candidates.
* Lancashire Holdings Ltd.'s nonexecutive director Tom Milligan will leave the company's board, effective March 31.
* Virgin Money Holdings (UK) Plc appointed Irene Dorner as chair-elect to replace Glen Moreno. Dorner, who will also become an independent nonexecutive director of the company, will join Virgin Money's board of directors as chair-elect March 1. She will become chair of the board April 1, following Moreno's retirement as a director and chair at the end of March. Dorner previously served as president and CEO of HSBC Holdings Plc's U.S. operations.
* Bjørn Kise, chairman of Bank Norwegian AS and its parent company Norwegian Finans Holding ASA, will resign from his posts.
* Monobank ASA nominated Øyvind Oanes and Torhild Torgersen new members of the board of directors, to be resolved at the March 5 annual general meeting. They will replace Anders Silkisberg, who stepped down from the board last summer, and Sølvi Tangen, who steps down after two years as a board member.
* Nova Ljubljanska banka d.d.'s CFO Arcibald Kremser was appointed chairman of the board of directors at NLB Banka AD Podgorica, the Montenegro-based unit. The appointment is subject to the approval of the Central Bank of Montenegro.
* Valiant Holding AG CEO Markus Gygax is set to replace Jürg Bucher as chairman of the company's board of directors in 2020. Gygax will join the board of directors in 2019 as an ordinary member and subsequently assume the role of chairman in 2020. A new chairman of the executive board will be appointed sometime in 2018 and take over in May 2019. Bucher will be re-elected as chairman at Valiant's 2018 and 2019 annual general meetings and step down in 2020.
* Leonteq AG nominated Richard Laxer as a new independent member of the board. And Lukas Ruflin, who currently serves as board vice chairman, will not stand for re-election at the firm's March 28 annual general meeting. Ruflin has been appointed CEO, effective May 1.
* The managing director of JSC Baiterek National Management Holding, Galymzhan Tadzhiyakov, was appointed member of the board of directors at Damu Entrepreneurship Development Fund JSC.
* According to a Reuters report, Credit Suisse Group AG nominated Michael Klein, previously chairman and co-chief executive of markets and banking at Citigroup Inc. and currently a corporate finance adviser, to be a nonexecutive director. The appointment is subject to shareholder approval. The bank has also nominated the independent director of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., Ana Paula Pessoa, to join the board at the same time as Klein. And Richard Thornburgh, director and U.S. chairman at the bank, will not stand for re-election.
* Banco Santander SA's board nominated Álvaro Antonio Cardoso de Souza, currently nonexecutive chairman of the board of Santander Brasil, as an independent member of the board, subject to shareholders and relevant regulatory approvals. The shareholders will also vote to ratify the nomination of Ramiro Mato as an independent member of the board.
* Swissquote Group Holding AG will propose the appointment of Monica Dell'Anna as member of the board to the shareholders. Dell'Anna is a member of the executive board of NZZ-Mediengruppe AG since 2016.
* The U.K. Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority named Marshall Bailey chair of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, effective April 1. Bailey succeeds Lawrence Churchill, who will step down after serving two terms as chair of the scheme over the last six years. The appointment has been approved by the U.K. Treasury. Bailey most recently served on the board of UK Financial Investments Ltd. and as a member of the Market Practitioners' Group for the FX Global Code of Conduct.
* Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria SA's board nominated Jaime Caruana, Ana Peralta and Jan Verplancke as independent board members, subject to approval by the European Central Bank. Caruana, general director of Bank for International Settlements, will join the board on June 1. Peralta was appointed as an independent member of the board of directors at the Spanish unit of Deutsche Bank AG in 2014. Verplancke was a director and chief information officer with Standard Chartered Plc, and group head of technology and banking operations in Singapore.