S&P Global Market Intelligence presents In Play Today, a periodic summary of potential deal activity in the financial sectors of Europe, the Middle East and Africa. This summary, which is displayed according to the location of a target's headquarters, is based on information obtained by S&P Global Market Intelligence and may not be inclusive of all potential deal activity.
* Shanghai-based investment group Gongbao has made an offer of more than €650 million for a 75% stake in Ethniki Hellenic General Insurance SA. The latter is owned by National Bank of Greece SA.
* Allianz Group is looking to make acquisitions and has considered acquiring insurance companies in the U.S., Europe, Bermuda and Asia. The list of possible targets for a deal includes Zurich Insurance Group AG, Aviva PLC, The Hartford Financial Services Group Inc. and Aspen Insurance Holdings Ltd.
* The Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, the emirate's sovereign wealth fund, entered exclusive talks with J.C. Flowers & Co. LLC to buy its 21.4% stake in U.K.-based pension buyout firm Pension Insurance Corp. PLC.
* Russia-based Otkritie Financial Corp. Bank will seek to offload a stake of between 15% and 20% in 2021 to an external buyer.
* VTB Bank (PJSC) CEO Andrey Kostin reportedly confirmed the bank's plans to buy Vozrozhdenie Bank, and could complete the deal in the third quarter of 2018.
* Deutsche Bank AG Chairman Paul Achleitner talked to the bank's biggest shareholders about a potential merger with fellow German lender Commerzbank AG.
* BPER Banca SpA CEO Alessandro Vandelli said some potential buyers are expressing interest in the bank's debt collection unit.
* The Belarusian government approved the sale of a nearly 25% stake in state-owned Belarusian Bank for Development and Reconstruction (Belinvestbank) JSC to the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. The transaction is expected to complete within six to nine months, possibly by the end of 2018.
* Former GetBack SA head Konrad Kakolewski sent a letter to the Polish Financial Supervision Authority with a list of companies potentially interested in investing in the financially troubled debt collector. The list includes Apax Partners LLP, Elliot Advisors Ltd., Advent International Corp., Trace Capital and others.
* French debt managers MCS Groupe and DSO Group SAS entered exclusive negotiations for a potential merger, which would result in a new entity with consolidated 2017 net revenues of more than €130 million.
Rest of the world
* U.S.-based Cerberus Capital Management LP made a $125 million bid to buy Abraaj Group Ltd.'s private equity business, The Wall Street Journal said, but Reuters reported that one of Abraaj's creditors could stall a deal after it opposed giving the group more time to restructure its debts.
* Canopius AG and two unnamed entities are discussing the potential acquisition of specialty insurer StarStone with Enstar Group Ltd. and Stone Point Capital LLC.