trending Market Intelligence /marketintelligence/en/news-insights/trending/Oslb0ofbOWU9oKMMpp9lag2 content esgSubNav
In This List

Congo's Gécamines opens Deziwa copper-cobalt JV with China Nonferrous

Blog

Insight Weekly: Bank boards lag on gender parity; future of office in doubt; US LNG exports leap

Blog

Insight Weekly: Job growth faces hurdles; shale firms sit on cash pile; Africa's lithium future

Blog

Insight Weekly: Loan growth picks up; US-China PE deals fall; France faces winter energy crunch

Blog

Insight Weekly: CEO pay jumps; yield curve inversion deepens; wind giants lift turbine prices


Congo's Gécamines opens Deziwa copper-cobalt JV with China Nonferrous

Congo's state-owned miner, Gécamines SA, opened the Deziwa copper-cobalt project, which it owns through a joint venture with China Nonferrous Metal Mining (Group) Co. Ltd., Reuters reported Jan. 15.

The Somidez joint venture controls the mine and processing plant, which is held 51% by China Nonferrous and 49% by Gécamines.

Gécamines Chairman Albert Yuma touted the venture as "innovative," with the government having a larger stake compared to other projects in the country. Gécamines owns just 25% of Kamoto Copper Co. SARL, and Glencore PLC subsidiary Katanga Mining Ltd. holds the remaining 75%, the report noted.

The US$880 million Deziwa project, which started construction in May 2018, aims to produce 80,000 tonnes of copper and 8,000 tonnes of cobalt per annum, the report said.

China Nonferrous will operate the project for nine years, with a potential two-year extension, before transferring it to Gécamines, which would operate it for seven to nine years based on the project's known reserves and planned annual production, according to Reuters.